Introduction Welcome To Hyundai Aftermarket! We are the worlds #1 most active and Premier Hyundai Forum and Website for Tiburon, Genesis, Veloster, Accent, Elantra, Santa Fe, Tucson, Equus, and Sonata owners! Post in here under the thread that was automatically created for you, and tell us a little about yourself!

Looking To Purchase My First Tib!

Old 08-10-2006, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Hey all, been reading up on the Tib the last few hours. Just took a 2001 for a test drive, such a nice car. Just had a few questions, looking for some advice. The car has no rust, however there are a few small problems I found. The shifter is really freaking loose, is this a tough fix (or maybe an upgrade to a short shifter)? Also, the drivers seat seems to be almost broken, or bent... The back kind of slopes to the right. I wouldn't mind putting a new seat, maybe aftermarket seat in, if it's not too much trouble. The tires all leak, so the dealer is going to replace them, and he said he was going to replace the rear bushings...??? Which bushings would those be?

Other than that, the only things i could find wrong were, in the bottom right corner of the rear bumper, the paint is peeling a bit. Also, the door to the fuse box beside the clutch doesn't close. The car has 87,000km, and the dealer is asking for $8000 (canadian). The car rides good, suspension is good, A/C works, power windows, power mirrors, everything is stock.

I like the car, but I don't want to let that get in the way of good judgement. I heard through a friend of a friend that this dealer MIGHT roll back odometers sometimes (rumours). Is there something else I should look for before making him an offer?
Old 08-10-2006, 02:03 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

#1 carfax it. Also thats a pretty high price for so many miles.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:24 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yea definitely do a carfax..and that price is definitely steep for a tibby with so many miles.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:36 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

That's actually pretty low mileage. Keep in mind that is kilometres which is approximately 54,000 miles. I have over 170,000 kms on my 2000.

As stated try to get a carfax report or ask to see the service records. Maybe take down the VIN number and go to a Hyundai dealer and ask for info about the car they have. If it's been in for a recall or warranty repair they may have the odometer reading on record.

If the dealer has a reputation for bad business practices it may be safest just to stay away.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:40 PM

^lol woops, I thought it was in miles not kilometers tongue.gif

I looked on kelley blue book for ya and the tib stands like this:

Suggested retail value: 9,065 american dollars

Private party value:

Excellent condition: $7,530 american dollars

Good condition: $6,990 american dollars

Fair condition: $6,285 american dollars

But if the dealer was sheisty in the past I'd stay away..or at least just get the car fax report if you really want that tib.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:37 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Ran a carfax, looks good, odometer is definitely legit, unless it was run more than 20,000 KM in the last year. AND, apparently there still might be 2 months of warranty on it.

So what about those rear bushings?

I read that some people have a loose shifter as well... Is this just bushings, or a quick fix? or is it going to cost $$$.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:45 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Shifter is loose, that's the OEM shifter for you. No worries, upgrade it and the shifter bushings, cost you less than 100 bucks if you do it right, and very easy.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:41 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i bought my car after minor accident. my mechanic touched it all up and i spent $3,000 on a brand new 5 year old car with all options fully loaded mostly travel miles. not only that but it came from a dealership not far from me so it was in state.

steal if you ask me. never had any engine problems, and at this point i cannot regret its loyal service to me. wink1.gif with hyundai you have to have luck. reason i bought mine after accident was because it was one owner. it's hard to find ones that weren't abused and ones that weren't shattered by accidents. we all know you hit a hyundai once and everything goes out. even the new tiburons, but that's mostly any car. hyundais are easy to fix and replacement parts are cheap.

very economic car. you don't realize how much you save in the long run. good luck. honestly i don't like 2000 tiburons very much, i like the first gens a lot better because they were a lot more genuine, no added facelift just designed all at once. wink1.gif
Old 08-10-2006, 09:53 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

ah, stupid metric system! I always get confused and think of stuff backwards. I was thinking that 87,000km was like over 100,000 miles instead of like 50,000.

well then thats an ok deal.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:45 PM

sounds like a pretty decent deal compared to what ive seen our cars go for at dealers. still though, try and talk them down. if you have a trade work with it to get the best deal. find a similar tib for cheaper and theyll budge a little hopefully. take them the ad