Introduction Welcome To Hyundai Aftermarket! We are the worlds #1 most active and Premier Hyundai Forum and Website for Tiburon, Genesis, Veloster, Accent, Elantra, Santa Fe, Tucson, Equus, and Sonata owners! Post in here under the thread that was automatically created for you, and tell us a little about yourself!

I'm The Fng

Old 04-20-2005, 09:13 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

ECU mods.... I've been reading about people pulling more power out of their cars on other forums by adding strateigically placed resistors to fool their ECUs into thinking something else is happening.

Coolant temp - add a potentiometer- ECU thinks it's hotter, keeps engine cooler

Intake Air Temp sensor - ECU thinks it's colder, ups idle, adds more fuel

Manifold Absoloute Pressure- ECU ups air and fuel mixture

basically i've heard about and am planning on testing on these mods when i get some time. They're all just ECU tricks, people compare them to putting in a power chip. We'll see about that i guess. I'll publish results if they're worth publishing.

The IAT sensor mod works. I add switches so i can turn it on and off to test.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Apr 20 2005, 06:32 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>FA radar. Right now i'm in kansas, i'm about to take a trip across the west coast though.
<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>

You a 13R or 35M?

4/1 FA or 1/5 FA?

Fort Riley sucks my hairless balls.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Apr 20 2005, 09:13 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>ECU mods.... I've been reading about people pulling more power out of their cars on other forums by adding strateigically placed resistors to fool their ECUs into thinking something else is happening.

You've read it, and it's bullshit in most cases.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Coolant temp - add a potentiometer- ECU thinks it's hotter, keeps engine cooler</div>

And does what? Turns the fans on earlier? You can add a switch and do that yourself.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Intake Air Temp sensor - ECU thinks it's colder, ups idle, adds more fuel</div>

Which won't help anything because we allready run very rich from the factory. Adding more fuel will create more problems. You add MORE fuel but still have LESS air.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Manifold Absoloute Pressure- ECU ups air and fuel mixture</div>

Think about it man. How is the ECU going to change the amount of air coming in the engine?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>basically i've heard about and am planning on testing on these mods when i get some time. They're all just ECU tricks, people compare them to putting in a power chip. We'll see about that i guess.</div>

We can save you the time, they sell these "Mods" on ebay for about 15 cents to 25 dollars, they don't do anything worthwhile. If they did, we'd be all over it for years now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>The IAT sensor mod works. I add switches so i can turn it on and off to test.</div>

Ahh, the magic butt dyno...
Old 04-20-2005, 09:23 PM
DTN

butt dyno?

I'm a 35M Radar Repair

I'm leaving from 1-5 in a few days. i'm about to reclass to 91A Medical equipment repair.

HOLY $H1T DOES FORT RILEY EVER SUCK!

I guess it keeps the fans on longer

I might try them anyways.... i've still got 8 months left of warranty. Has anyone tested and written about this in the forums?

About the map sensor... says in one forum.. This information is used by the engine computer to monitor engine load (vacuum drops when the engine is under load or at wide open throttle). When the engine is under load, the computer may alter spark timing and the fuel mixture to improve performance and emissions.

SO i don't know... i'll try it out.

OH... no, i use tire squeel laugh.gif..... got this road outside the barracks (the one that goes in front of the PX), nice long and open. 1st gear to 6K RPM and the hard upshift.... length of time it screeches is good enough for me.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:35 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Apr 20 2005, 09:23 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'm a 35M Radar Repair

LOL Loser. wink1.gif Real men are FA Surveyors. Who are your radar and Survey folks over at 1/5 now?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I'm leaving from 1-5 in a few days. i'm about to reclass to 91A Medical equipment repair.
HOLY $H1T DOES FORT RILEY EVER SUCK!</div>

Stationed there for 7.5 years man. You are telling me? LMAO 4/1 FA, HHB, for 7.5 years.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Has anyone tested and written about this in the forums?</div>

All the way back to the old forums at www.hyundaiaftermarket.com

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>About the map sensor... says in one forum.. This information is used by the engine computer to monitor engine load (vacuum drops when the engine is under load or at wide open throttle). When the engine is under load, the computer may alter spark timing and the fuel mixture to improve performance and emissions.</div>

1. We don't have MAP. We have MAF.

2. Great, but you still end up with TOO much or TOO little fuel.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>OH... no, i use tire squeel laugh.gif..... got this road outside the barracks (the one that goes in front of the PX), nice long and open.</div>

I heard there are like 3 roundabouts up there now...
Old 04-20-2005, 10:30 PM
DTN

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>OL Loser. Real men are FA Surveyors. Who are your radar and Survey folks over at 1/5 now?</div>

I got a grid you can survey.

Just a bunch of privates.. PSG Call and CPL Conley. Radar had one guy you might know.. SSG Bradley. Did you know Donovan... 35M from 4/1? he was there for 2-3 years durring 2000-2003 Weird ass... Talked about using squirles as pack animals... Was my lab partner in AIT. when were you last here?

There are 3 roundabouts here. They're on the "butt-dyno road" in front of the PX. Next to the new barracks, the new chow hall, and the intersection next to the laundry place... all really close together.

Like i said, i'll be glad to leave this place. Speaking of which, should i do anything to my tibby aside from normal maintenance to prepair for this 6,000 mile trip this month?

I've already changed the oil, coolant, other fluids, spark plugs, taken exhaust samples, and changed over to summer air, gotten naked.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:56 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Apr 21 2005, 06:23 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>About the map sensor... says in one forum.. This information is used by the engine computer to monitor engine load (vacuum drops when the engine is under load or at wide open throttle). When the engine is under load, the computer may alter spark timing and the fuel mixture to improve performance and emissions.
By moddifying MAP/MAF signal you can change only air/fuel ratio (by providing more or less fuel). Our cars are rich and if you rich mixture more then 12:1 on n/a engine (12:1, 11.5:1 and so) you will lose power.

I know that if pressure goes up signal from MAP is higher (more volts) so I can state that resistance of MAP is lower. So by adding resistors to MAP you can only make air/fuel mixture leaner.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Apr 21 2005, 06:35 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>We don't have MAP. We have MAF.

I do have MAP B)
Old 04-21-2005, 04:35 AM
DTN

if you put them in series.. ecu---+---|sensor it will lower voltage, but if you put it in paralell ecu===={===|sensor it will raise voltage. try it at the sensor and plug it back in man. use something a little smaller then... 4.7Kohm. maybe a 4Kohm. just about all sensors are 5Kohm. and for the IAT sensor, disconnect the sensor and stick a 4.7K resistor in the socket.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:22 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Apr 20 2005, 10:30 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Just a bunch of privates.. PSG Call and CPL Conley.<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>

SGT Call? Tall skinny white bastard? Doode, tell him SGT Zimmerman said hello, he was a good guy. Been there FOREVER.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Radar had one guy you might know.. SSG Bradley.</div>

Uhm, don't think so. Maybe. Ask him if he knew me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Did you know Donovan... 35M from 4/1?</div>

Yeah, I think he's been hit in the head too many times. What a freaking moron. If he's still there, kick him in the nuts for me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>when were you last here?</div>

I left there in 2002, to Korea for 18 months, then got medicaly discharged and am 70% disabled, for conditions Fort Riley told me were "nothing" and tried to send me to Mental Health for. Dumb bastards.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Speaking of which, should i do anything to my tibby aside from normal maintenance to prepair for this 6,000 mile trip this month?</div>

Put in some fuel injector cleaner and take some extra bulbs with you just in case. Some emergency flares, ect.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:05 PM
DTN

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Apr 21 2005, 02:22 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>SGT Call? Tall skinny white bastard? Doode, tell him SGT Zimmerman said hello, <div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>

ok
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah, I think he's been hit in the head too many times. What a freaking moron. If he's still there, kick him in the nuts for me.</div>

NO, he left when i came here from germany. I just figured you were here in that time frame.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Put in some fuel injector cleaner and take some extra bulbs with you just in case. Some emergency flares, ect</div>

guess i'm already set then.... just gotta get naked.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:13 PM

Nope, I was there from March 1996 to July 2002.

I think.

Man, what memories.