Introduction Welcome To Hyundai Aftermarket! We are the worlds #1 most active and Premier Hyundai Forum and Website for Tiburon, Genesis, Veloster, Accent, Elantra, Santa Fe, Tucson, Equus, and Sonata owners! Post in here under the thread that was automatically created for you, and tell us a little about yourself!

Front Brakes - Calipers

Old 09-18-2005, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I decide to be a nice guy and change the front brakes on my girlfriend's 2001 Tiburon. After beating the living crap out of the left front rotor trying to get it off, I get mid-evil twak.gif and end up scoring the rotor enough with a hand grinder so that I can crack it, then hammer it off.

Popped out the old pads, and in doing so, seperated the caliper piston from the hanging bracket... I've never seen this before; all calipers I've dealt with in the past basically stayed together as one piece. Is this typical? Am I ok to just lube up the slider pins and put it back together?

Just want to make sure as it's not my car. How long are the O/E calipers good for. Up tempted to replace them.... car's 4 years old with 110,000 kms (69,000 miles).

Thanks,

NMT

feedback.gif
Old 09-18-2005, 11:48 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

^ Why did you remove the rotors? Did you replace those too? If not, all you had to do was remove 2 bolts that hold the calipers onto the assembly.

Unless the calipers look like they need to be replaced, I'd leave them on. They should last a bloody long time.

As for your question about the piston, I'm not too sure... Someone's bound to know.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:58 AM

Let me rephrase,

I'm replacing the front brake pads and rotors. Removing the caliper was a non-issue... problem was that the rotor was rusted onto the hub and required a lot of incentive to come off.

Anyways, I'm thinking at 70,000 miles, I should probably change the calipers if doing new rotors and pads. Please advise if this is unnecessary. How long should I expect the OE calipers to last?
Old 09-19-2005, 08:16 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

I think there should be a hole (or two holes) in rotor for bolts. So you place there bolt and screw it in and that bolt should help rotor to come off the hub.

Also try to use alot of WD-40, best to spray it in the evening and try to disasemble in the morning, give it time to degrease rust.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:00 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i had the same problem with the rotors. as for the calipers, they should last for as long as the car. i would not worry about them. just be sure to grease up the slider bolts with caliper grease only, and if im following you, you will need to bleed the brake lines once you put everything back together. sounds like the piston popped out somehow, which means air got into the lines.