Introduction Welcome To Hyundai Aftermarket! We are the worlds #1 most active and Premier Hyundai Forum and Website for Tiburon, Genesis, Veloster, Accent, Elantra, Santa Fe, Tucson, Equus, and Sonata owners! Post in here under the thread that was automatically created for you, and tell us a little about yourself!

do it yourself type of installs?

Old 10-22-2004, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: For Sale Speaker

Okay, I couldn't really find anything about this searching so I thought i'd ask. I'm thinking of buying a aem cai, and then proceeding with a im, bbtb, headers, strut bars, etc.

Few questions, I haven't ever really worked on cars but I think of myself as 'good with tools', so, how hard is it to do these mods? looking at the resonator removal + air duct mod, it didn't look like it would be much harder to do something like the cai. the other stuff i have no idea about.

Another thing, I keep reading that rear/front/center strut bars make a noticable difference but haven't really seenanything about what difference they make. does it make handling better?

Thanks in advance,
Nav
Old 10-22-2004, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Cottage Fever 2005 May 23rd - May 25th

Installing a strut bar is about as easy as it gets. It is supposed to improve handling and in some instances, lowered quartermiles times. Getting a cold air intake is very basic and a good confidence builder if you don't have too much experience with bolt ons (they usually come with their own instuctions). A BBTB is also very easy to install. Allyou have to do is to remove the four bolts that connects it to the manifold and disconnect/reconnect the cruise control/throttle cables as well as adjusting the idle screw. Those are some of the easiest DIY's there is.

Changing out your headers and intake manifold are a little more advanced but not overly difficult. I would do the CIA, and BBTB first though. You may want to skip on the strut bar if you plan on buying an AirRam intake manifold
Old 10-23-2004, 08:49 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default Re: Someone Help Me Find THIS Rear!!!!

The mods you have listed, are very easy to install. Check our DIY section for full writups on most of them. Easy easy easy. From easiest to Hardest that you have listed....

<span style="color:green">EASY</span>

Resonator

Front Strut Bar

Center Bar

CAI

Rear Strut Bar

BBTB

Headers

IM

<span style="color:red">HARDEST</span>

Keep in mind, none of these are really very HARD to do, I'm talking the resonator being a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10 and the IM being maybe a 5, tops. You seem to know what you are doing, best of luck!

As for the bars? HUGE difference in your handling. Your car will stay much flatter in turns, and you can drive it like you own it. Ya know what I mean? The front bar made a noticable difference, the rear made a HUGE difference, the center made almost the same as the rear.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Scariest Hyundai Owner

Thanks for the replies guys,

question about the AEM cai, i remember reading something about cutting the cai to install a bypass valve. Does the AEM cai have to be cut or is the bypass just a bolt on?

and i know, some of you are against bypasses, but I live in a place where we get lots of snow, and sometimes theirs no option but to drive through it (or well, not go anywhere), so I think I'm going to have to go for a bypass.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Pics that may help you decide

From what I've heard, you have to cut the air intake to install the bypass. THat kinda sucks as it's a $200 piece of equiptment there.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:50 PM

Default Re: New Rotors Paint on

I'd like to throw somethin' in here.....

What these fellas are tellin' ya', is that none of these are really hard mods - IF all conditions are ideal and things go as easily as possible. For some, there's no way that it can take more than 10 minutes (like the front strut bar).

But, when I personaly did MY headers..... it took me 3 days. I wasn't as prepared as I could have been, and had to keep going to the parts store for 5hit that I couldn't afford at the time. Things like a decent impact wrench, and such. BUT, if you plan well, none of those are gonna' be too hard.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:52 PM

Default Re: New Rotors Paint on

3 days..damn. The hardest part I had with my headers was finding someone who could help me hold the exhaust on the bottom while I unbolted it from the header.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:54 PM

Default Re: What should I look for in buyind a Tib?

Yeah, mine just happened to go as difficult as possible. Had to cut the 5hit out of the pipe too just to get the impact on it.

I've done headers in the past many times, but that was by FAR the biggest pain in the ass.

Wasn't trying to hijack the thread with that, by the way. Just letting him know what he MAY be up against in some cases.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:56 PM

Default Re: do it yourself type of installs?

Yep, I had to spray WD40 on the bolts to get them loose. Then, I drove to the mufflershop with open headers!!! You could hear me coming from miles away...LOL
Old 10-23-2004, 01:57 PM

Default Re: do it yourself type of installs?

HAHAH! I did the same thing, but with like 4 huge grinder gashes in the down pipe.

Loud as hell. hahaha