Introduction Welcome To Hyundai Aftermarket! We are the worlds #1 most active and Premier Hyundai Forum and Website for Tiburon, Genesis, Veloster, Accent, Elantra, Santa Fe, Tucson, Equus, and Sonata owners! Post in here under the thread that was automatically created for you, and tell us a little about yourself!

2002 Sonata from NJ

Old 09-05-2009, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Sonata LX
Post 2002 Sonata from NJ

Hey everybody,

I was a moderator over @ SaturnSpot.com (before the european takeover) and helped the forum become pretty darn big. Spoiler, wheels, 2 inch drop, intake, exhaust - the whole shibang. Eventually, the tranny went and i sold the satty and switched over the Hyundai because it was a much better (more upgraded) ride, and 3 years later, she's running strong. I bought the 2002 in 2006 with 22K on it. She's got 57K now, with just a few upgrades and just a few "gremlins". I added sound proofing mats throughout the entire car, including the floors and doors. Not that it's a big deal but I debadged it, added chrome looking door handles, chrome looking KDM grille and emblem, and chrome looking gauge cluster rings. I'm keeping it pretty stock, even the radio, since money is tight (buying a house soon hopefully). I did pick up some 17" Miglia Evo 5's and some cheap-o tires to change the look a bit. I have a starting issue where it will crank and not fire (crank sensor replaced) unless i hold down the gas pedal an inch or so, so I'm thinking TPS or IACV? Also the door locks are temperamental, and will ALWAYS unlock but only SOMETIMES lock using the driver power switch. Otherwise, I've been anal about fluid changes, etc. It's been a good car :)

I'll be on here a lot I think, so hit me up. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2428909 is my site, i have to update it a bit.

- Goldie97
Old 09-05-2009, 10:33 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

welcome to HA!! the Sonata looks good, it looks like a Mercedes with 17's. i didn't realize the interior was so nice. that's the only model i haven't been inside of yet. very neat job with the insulation!

your problem sounds like TPS, but of course it could be something else. i can't imagine a 57k TPS going bad.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:37 PM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

Welcome, car looks really clean.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Welcome to the site, nice car.

The door locks you'll have to track down why it won't lock, but the solution is probably to get an alarm with keyless entry installed and never worry about pushing the button again.

I've never heard of a hard starting fuel injected car not starting unless the pedal is depressed. Maybe your throttle body butterfly is sticking at fully closed? You might be able to adjust the screw so that it isn't completely closed. As long as you don't have it stick too far open the IAC should still be able to regulate your idle.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:38 AM

thanks guys biggrin.gif

yeah i mean on the older carb setups, tapping the gas would open the fuel enough to start without flooding, but since the TB setups are just an air valve, i'm thinking either the sensors are slowly failing, a hose is loose, or i'm all gummed up in there. either that, or i'm just completely losing my mind. haha

as far as cleaning the TB, i'm religious about it, so it's pretty clean most of the time. would the accelerator pedal cable have something to do with it? maybe it would be a little to tight (or loose?) normally, i would just replace the IACV and TPS for the heck of it, they're not that expensive, but i heard somewhere that they have to be calibrated from the dealer (i was told they are not calibrated through the parts counter/online, and that the techs must do it which is why they must install it). i think it's B.S, but are they right? both sensors are pretty easy to screw on and off..
Old 09-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Administrator

I have replaced both the IAC and the TPS and it's never given me any problem needing to calibrate anything.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:08 PM

good to hear! www.RockAuto.com the best site for replacements? or would you suggest i get a hyundai-dealer part?
Old 09-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Usually the dealership is just as cheap as ordering it online.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:34 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

not sure about the sonata, but the accent, elantra, and tiburon TPS's all fit with each other. i found great ones at the junkyard for $10 each. when you're unscrewing it, BE CAREFUL, the screws are very very weak and you could break the head and leave the body in the TB or cross-thread it easily. those screws are hard to find too. i had to go back to the junkers to replace mine.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:46 PM

Vehicle: 2004 hyundai tiburon

cool.gif welcome.gif cool.gif