Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Is XM worth it?? UPDATE: GOT IT!!

Old 04-11-2003, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is XM worth it?? UPDATE: GOT IT!!

My CDX-MP70 Sony MP3 deck should be here on Monday. Anyhow, I noticed it was XM ready so I have been pondering the thought of actually getting an XM tuner. Money is not the object in this case. The tuner is around $150, an antenna another 40 or so. The monthly service is somewhere around 10 bucks a month right? Anyway, I commute to work every day and I do cherish my music.........so, is it worth it? Do you really get crystal clear channels? Does someone who likes metal, rock, pop, rap going to find they have enough channels to suit their taste? I don't wanna buy this thing and find out that out of the 100 channels I get, 70 of them are country, jazz, soft rock, and christian.

One other woe I have is that damn antenna....is it really obtrusive? My car is black so I am hoping it won't stand out much.

Thanks!

[ April 15, 2003, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: AllBlackTibby ]
Old 04-11-2003, 03:57 PM

Vehicle: 2005 MINI Cooper S

Go for it man.

I'm about to purchase it because I rode with my brother on a trip listening to his. We recently purchased the home system also. I really enjoyed it. There was a station that kept playing punk music, and no Sum 41 either, they played Black Flag, Bad Religion, and then Dropkick Murphys. For pop music there is an MTV station. The metal station was pretty good, I remember them playing some Pantera.

It's about $10 a month, and you can get the family plan so each extra radio is only $6 a month.
Old 04-12-2003, 07:06 AM

reeeaaaally... punk station, eh? there wasn't one before, they must have just added it recently. that was the only thing stopping me from getting it. eenteresting... thanks for the info Zaibatsu. bow_down
Old 04-12-2003, 03:54 PM

XM is nice but if you were interested in satelite radio listen to the nice quality of Sirius satelite radio. I'm not promoting anything but Sirius sounds 100 x better than XM.
Old 04-12-2003, 07:28 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Uhm, I was told they are the same except for channels. One has more than the other. And one's monthly fee is higher.
Old 04-13-2003, 12:49 AM

Unfortunately my deck comes XM ready.........so Sirius wouldn't integrate as well. That's the reason I sold my iPod......it was a PITA to use while driving.

I have a remote mounted on my console like so . When my arm is resting on the console my hand falls right on that remote. If I can't control it from that remote......I don't want it.

I'm a big fan of eyes on the road at all times.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:38 PM

AllBlackTibby:
Unfortunately my deck comes XM ready.........so Sirius wouldn't integrate as well. That's the reason I sold my iPod......it was a PITA to use while driving.
I actually find the iPod very easy to operate with one hand while driving, unlike other MP3 players. dunno
Old 04-15-2003, 01:55 PM

No it is not worth it My sponsor turned me away from it said it is not gonna last long and gets expensive!!!!
Old 04-15-2003, 02:02 PM

OK, so I went ahead and got it today.
So, here are my reviews:

Installation was a breeze. I use the Sony CDX-MP70 head unit, which is hooked to the Sony XT-XM1 tuner. Basically you run the supplied Uni-Link (CD changer control), and RCA cable from the deck and then (in my case) back to the trunk. I mounted the tuner to the side of my sub box. I then hooked my CD changer to the XM tuner. The so called antenna I mounted on the roof (magnetic), ran the wires through the hatch and then taped them to the side of the hatch seal with black tape (going to find a more permanent solution later), hooked them up, and after waiting 10 minutes for my tuner to activate I was rockin. Total install time was about 30 minutes.

Sound quality is good. I already drove it through a forest corridor in the Cascade Mountain Range and I never lost signal, or had any static at all. Tone is not as well defined as a CD, and I have noticed that there is not as much bass, but all in all I am very pleased with it. I went ahead and got the Playboy channel but now I am having second thoughts about it. I highly doubt the american male population driving around with wood is a good thing. But at least for once I can say it WAS for the articles!

5 stars for XM.