Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Wiring Problems

Old 07-13-2006, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am working on putting in all the lovely led mods ya'll have thrown out there and for some reason when i close my driver side door the led's stop working and when i open it they work again....I've got a little electrical experiance and this is killing me. I've never gotten so pissed in my life.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:10 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

Without knowing anything about your setup - AKA where you are putting the LEDs etc. I'm gonna say you took your positive from the switched door panel wiring. Just like your little red door light, everytime you close the door, the power to your LEDs will be cut.
give more info/pics.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:26 AM

I put LEDS in the door handle, speakers housing, and the thing next to the speaker housing. Power tapped from speakers, grounded on the bolt below the window, tried grounding screws by the door handle...also on the passenger side door they flicker when i open it.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:24 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

not a good idea. if your LEDs short out, there's nothing protecting your speakers and the LEDs are not regulated.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:42 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

you're drawing power from your speaker wires? go off the illuminations(green/white wire i think) running to the window switches. then just ground it wherever.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:52 PM

Roger. Understood bad to tap from speakers. But this still leaves me with the question of why the hell do they only work part of the time??

Update:

Redid power and tapped from the wire you told me still didnt work. Switched to a different ground (was using the one pointed out in the DIY) and now they work just fine....still confused from before tho
Old 07-15-2006, 05:13 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

QUOTE (NoMaam-uron @ Jul 15 2006, 05:52 PM)
Redid power and tapped from the wire you told me still didnt work. Switched to a different ground (was using the one pointed out in the DIY) and now they work just fine....still confused from before tho

Doooode!!!!! Me tooo!!!! I'm drawing power for my door handle LED's from the power wire that lights up the window switch, and I have a strong tap there, and I have my negative going to a screw holding the door handle mechanism in place. It's alll very tight and everything, but when I open my door handle all the way or when I push on the little door handle cover, the light dimms out to almost nothing, then when i let go, it works again. I'm not shorting out the power, because everything comes on again when I let go. Somehow I have to be making the negative connection disconnect, but I have no idea how!
Any advice?
SE
Old 07-16-2006, 05:42 AM

I ended up using one of the big bolt closer to the window for my ground and i havent had a problem since