Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Wiring An Led

Old 06-02-2005, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright I went to radio shack and I have everything I need to wire an LED. I'm gonna put one in the back of that little compartment below my cd deck, a blue of course. I dont feel like cutting into my cars wires or anything so I'm just gonna hook it up to a 9 volt battery. I figured out what resistor to use and everything so I should be cool.

Now for the questions:

1) I'm wiring the LED in a series so the resistor should be on the positive wire? I also have a switch I'm putting in so should the resistor come before or after the switch? I know the resistor has to come before the LED, so I guess I'm asking where does the switch go?

2)Does it matter where I put the switch on the circuit? Cause in order for the LED to come on the circuit has to be complete?

3) right now here's the order I think everything should be in (starting at the battery +): resistor, LED, switch, battery -

as you can tell I've never wired anything before and this seemed simple enough and I feel comfortable soldering things. I just wanna make sure I have everything correct.

-zach
Old 06-02-2005, 06:57 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

A 9V battery?

LOL

You're kidding right?
Old 06-02-2005, 06:58 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

with one led, you arent wiring in series or parallel. thats only with multiple leds. the switch, as well as the resistor, can be placed anywhere.

for instance, + to led to switch to resistor to - is fine. just make sure the longer lead of the led is the lead that gets +, or else it wont work. nothing bad will happen though, so dont stress.

QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Jun 2 2005, 08:57 PM)
A 9V battery?

LOL

You're kidding right?

it will work and last just about forever. you really should just find some wires in the car though. you can splice right into the illumination wires behind the deck with no ill-affects. green/white will be + and green/black will be -. just get some wire taps for it.

also, what resistor did you figure out you needed? just want to make sure. wink1.gif
Old 06-02-2005, 08:26 PM

lol, yeah a 9v battery. I was just kinda nervous about tapping into wires and such, but I talked to my dad about doing it and he said the same thing-"just tap into the cigarette lighter wire"-

So that's what I'm gonna do, but i'll have to get a different resistor.

tibby01- with a 9v battery and my LED taking 3.7v at 20ma I would need a 265 resistor. The LED guide said to go up in value and the closest one was 270ohm so that's what I got. Is that correct?

thanks,
Zach

Oh and redzman, dont be hatin'. Your post was pretty useless by the way, dont you have better things to do then make fun of kids trying to learn on the internet?
Old 06-02-2005, 11:46 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (zachzachz @ Jun 2 2005, 08:26 PM)
Oh and redzman, dont be hatin'. Your post was pretty useless by the way, dont you have better things to do then make fun of kids trying to learn on the internet?

Uhm, for one, I'm not "Hatin".

For 2, this thread is kinda useless because it's been answered before. Learn to search.

I didn't make fun of you, I thought you were kidding. Now that I see you weren't, I know that you were just dumb.

Good thing 01tibby set you straight.

CLOSED>