Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Will this work for joining 4ga cable?

Old 05-20-2013, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Veilside Tibby
Default Will this work for joining 4ga cable?

Hey guys,

So I've already routed and installed my main 4ga power cable. I had to move the position of my amp and now the cable is too short, but I really don't want to re-route it. Normally I'd just solder more on, but I read that 4ga can be challenging to get a good solid solder joint on. I went to the local Home Depot store and got this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Blackburn...2#.UZp6coIWG_E

It's as simple as it looks. Feed two large cables into each side and crimp them down with the set screws. I saw some people recommend distribution blocks for power wire extensions, so I figured that could make for a simpler solution. So as long as I cover and insulate that properly to keep it from touching the car, will that be good to join the 4ga cable?

Also, would it be better to just expose enough cable to get the set screws to hold it, or expose more cable so that the cable strands mesh in the middle of the coupler?

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

That will work. You will want to insulate the crap out of it though. If it has the ability to pass through to where the strands touch I would do that.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

That's the same thing as a distribution block, but without all the distribution action. Go for it.