Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Where Did You Put Your Gps?

Old 01-05-2009, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

well i got a tomtom as a late christmas present and i was sitting in the car today trying to figure out where to put it. i really want to avoid putting it on the front glass, as that looks tacky and dosent take much thought.

my premium place to mount it would be on the center console at about cd player level on the pass. side. but i wonder how much of a pain the 2sideed tape from the plastic mount would be to get off if i ever wanted it off

second thought after looking was to put it on the center console down by the shifter. kind of where the pass legs go because my lower peice is allready scratched and so its no big deal to stick that little plastic mount on the side there.

do you guys have any thoughts or suggestions?? i know the window but i really want to avoid using that for style purposes.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:22 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

well i would suggest putting it somewhere in your near line of sight as its a "safety" issue to put it where your going to have to look down away from the road to see. I've never been one for safety things like that but i know it would probably be better.

I've always thought about mounting it on the top of the dash above the radio section, its not really in the way there and its still in your direct line of vision

Old 01-05-2009, 05:31 PM

i dont need it to in direct line of sight, i dont even use it unless im on a trip or something like that. i know my city enough that i wouldnt use it everyday
Old 01-05-2009, 05:33 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Kawasaki ZX6R

I put mine at the bottom of the windshield to the left of the steering wheel cause it looks better there to me.

I can't find my daytime photo so here is a blurry night shot....
Old 01-05-2009, 07:04 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

If it's mounted too low the sensor might get a much weaker signal causing it to not lock in occasionally. Make sure you try it a couple of times before permanently mounting it.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:19 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

How big is it?

Get me some measurements and a pic of the back, and any mounts it comes with. I think I have a very elegant solution for you.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I switch mine between multiple vehicles, so glass mount for me.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:24 PM

wow that was wack i lost internet for a week but anyways....

the gps is a tomtom ONE and its about 4"w x 3"tall

here is a link
TomTom ONE GPS Unit

the window isnt horrible because i only use it when im on trips but if i could put it somewhere nice i would probably use it all the time. and thats what i would like to do is use it all the time.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:55 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I can't go look right now man, but see if there is an "amps" style mout available for it, I'm sure there is. Anyways, it's just a bracket, and there is a company out there named Panavise that makes a REALLY nice mount for cellphones, GPS's, ect, for our car. You take off your stereo surround, remove 2 screws that hold yhour radio in, put this bracket in place, then replace everything else. Then the AMPS mount attaches to that, with your GPS on it.

I'll take some pics this week of what I've done, or put up some links here so you can do something similar. I use it for my XM and it's so nice I bought one for my Sorento too.

Actually, here...

http://www.buybits.com/product/sku_3681.aspx

Get one of those, you can find it wherever you want but it's got to be AMPS, it's a certain bolt pattern.

That attaches to your GPS, then you get this to attach it to...

http://www.panaviseonline.com/product.php?id=1128

You can find it for about 14 to 21 bucks, and it's worth it.

Installed pics at that link.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

By far, the best mounts for pretty much anything (they supply over 90% of the world's laptop mounts for cop cars) are RAM mounts. GPSCity, here in Vegas is the US distributor. http://www.gpscity.com/rammounts