Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

what kind of subs?

Old 08-12-2004, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey folks, i recently installed a pair of JL 10w1-8 and they still sound weak.. they are older subs too and i got a icked deal on them when i was poor... now I have more money.. and with more money comes MORE POWER!!!
so i'm curious... should i stick with these subs.. go to other JL subs.. or go to another brand...
I was thinking audiobahn perhaps.. or RF... i've been told in the past that Clarion is a step down from JL so i wanna know what you guys think

I have the subs hooked up to a Clarion APA450 400wmax amp.. but i also have my 6X('s hooked up to it... I assume i'd have to get a new amp for the new subs and hook my front speakers to the other two channels...

what do you guys think?
Old 08-12-2004, 01:50 PM

Default what kind of subs?

Dont get RF.. If you want resonably priced subs, I like the Alpines, or even the Polk MoMo.. They are both very clean and crisp.. Thats all I know about is cheaper shit, im poor ;(
Old 08-12-2004, 02:48 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Re: **ANGER..stupid car**

how much more money do you have? wink.gif

if i were you, i would not use that amp for subs. it only shoots out 50w RMS per channel, and that is not enough for any sub to sound good.

i would make sure you have good speakers all around, hook one up to each channel of the amp, and then get a seperate sub-purpose amp. ill prolly be going with infinity speakers and subs everywhere, maybe infinity with amps too.

id get this, http://www.crutchfield.com/S-X066oCJxNFr/c...1&avf=N&search=

matched with 2 of these...
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-X066oCJxNFr/c...8PER101&g=67600

but dont buy from cruthfield.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:56 PM

Default Re: what kind of subs?

got w/ some of the newer JLs, they are awesome.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:37 PM

audiobahns are sick man. that's a good choice.

JL's and Cerwins are my next in line
Old 08-12-2004, 03:43 PM

Default Re: what kind of subs?

if i were you, i would not use that amp for subs. it only shoots out 50w RMS per channel, and that is not enough for any sub to sound good.

Not true!! It depends on the sub,the amp,the sub enclosure,processing/eq,the interior accoustics,etc.

I have a pair of JL Audio 6W0 subs in my door panels,with approx 80wrms on each one.They are low passed 12Db/oct @ 200hz, and they have strong clean output down to 25Hz.Not to mention,front bass is ALWAYS better then bass that originates from the rear. wink.gif
Old 08-12-2004, 04:42 PM

Default Re: 92-95 Elantra 4G63 Swap:90 E-Prom AWD ECU in my Elantra

I have tried about every pair of subs there are. My personal favorite are the jl 12w6's, I have a PPI 600 running both of the bridged. I've never had any problems with them at all, before those I had 12w4's. It's all in how much $ you want to spend. You would be ok by just buying 1 12 inch dual voice coil sub, you could push an easy 200 watts from a 3 series JL or 300 from a wW6.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:58 PM

Vehicle: 2000 carbon tiburon

truthfully an honestly its all going to be personal preference so i would get what ever you think sounds the best. i have all my speakers done in polk and the sound is amazing. but there are alot of other good brands out there that are awesome so its up to you.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Full Angel Eyes install/Bumper Removal/Wiring

well i appreciate all your input and i figured it would boil down to personal preference... thing is.. my car audio ear is still developing and i really dont have the oppurtunity to go listen to a lot of different subs because i have no idea what they would sound like in the tib...
I was kinda hoping to get industry standards... like "according the the car audio community, so and so brand is the best, followed by this and this and this..."

my JL's right now get approx 100w each. which isn't that bad considering their rms is 125.. and they still pound, i just have to crank the volume up, and i'm afraid to overworking the amp...

i've heard the audiobahn subs and amps are the best around.. the bastards on "pimp my ride" told me so lol.gif
i wanted to know if thats true or not... i'm new to the car audio scene so i really don't want to look like i'm handicapped.. even though i am... so i'm relying on you guys to help a brotha out
Old 08-12-2004, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Custom Short Shifter.

Well, it depends on what you're looking for; do you want boom, or kick? If you want the super lows go with 12's and up. If you want to feel the drums use more & smaller subs, like 10's or 8's 8O . Yes 8's. Also, the enclosure can make a huge difference. Here are some pretty nice reads:

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learning...subwoofers.html

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learning...enclosures.html