Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Virgina people...question about radar detectors

Old 04-16-2012, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 00 Tiburon
Default Virgina people...question about radar detectors

I'm heading down to Virginia Beach for a few days with some friends, and I was wondering how do cops handle people from out of state that have radar detectors? I know they're illegal down there and you cant have them, but is the law only for people with registered cars in that state, or will they still give me a hard time about having one?
Old 04-16-2012, 01:30 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Originally Posted by 2quick
I'm heading down to Virginia Beach for a few days with some friends, and I was wondering how do cops handle people from out of state that have radar detectors? I know they're illegal down there and you cant have them, but is the law only for people with registered cars in that state, or will they still give me a hard time about having one?

I'm not sure anymore on the law to the letter like I used to research but I will tell you how I've been handled regardless of the law by our FInest LEO's.

I have been pulled over twice for it, though I lived in VA I kept outta state tags on while there for almost 3 years to try and get by illegal mods. In present tense format.

"Sir I'm sorry, I forget it's there since I'm in a state that allows 'em."

" Well you're in my state now and you have to take it out at the state line and plug it in when you leave."

"Too easy, sorry sir."

It goes on as he harassed me about some lights on the car and threatened to refrain my car from leaving until I did something about them on the spot regardless of tag, and was nice enough to give me a warning since I cut the light wires at his pleasant request

I do believe he can ticket you for operation of a detector if you're caught with it. They usually ask you to remove it from the window so it isn't seen to be in question in the first place if it's not wired into the dash.

*Side note - I often unplug it when a cop comes round anyway in towns as I get the motorcycle cops in PA or Jersey or wherever I usually am sitting behind me at lights and hitting me to watch it go off then settle down then hit me again. . . . light after light after light. Guess they get bored, and teach it in the Bike Academy. Annoying the Innocent 101*
Old 04-17-2012, 01:06 PM

Vehicle: 2K1 Tiburon

You most likely will get pulled over for it and depending on the cops mood, may even get cited. Alot of cops down here really dont give a crap if you're from out of state or not. They will still ticket you for it because they know that most out of towners wont come back to fight it in court. So its like an instant revenue model for them. Just remove it from your dash once you cross state line if you're worried that much about it.