Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

triple sub hook up

Old 03-25-2003, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default triple sub hook up

i currently have a 2ch amp w/ 2 subs
i wanted to add another sub so i was thinking about getting a 4ch amp to power all 3 subs. is the a way to bridge a 4ch amp to 3 subs? or should i just get a 1ch amp for the 3rd sub?
thanks in advance for your help help
Old 03-25-2003, 11:33 AM

How many ohms are the subs? What is your amp stable at? You are going to want to either get the new sub its own amp or get a more powerful mono or 2chanel amp for all 3 and bridge them all. 4 chanel is not the way to do it.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:49 PM

im going to get new subs and a new 2ch amp... any tips on how to bridge it?
Old 03-26-2003, 05:38 AM

Most amps will only handle a 4 ohm load when bridged.I don't know the specs for your amp,so I'll assume it will only do 4 ohms.

Now, 3 subs will be difficult.The only way that I can think of to get a total of 4 ohms from 3 subs is if each of the subs are 12ohms, and wired to each other in parallel.

Hopefully you are going to get JL subs that are 12 ohms a piece,or other 12 ohm brand.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:47 AM

well im going to get new subs and amp(s) what would be the best thing to do? one amp or two?
Old 03-26-2003, 08:24 AM
Mav

For three subs, a mono block will do fine. Just make sure it's stable at one ohm, because three subs wired in parallel will give you approx 1.5 ohms. Prolly 1.6 or 1.3...can't remember which.

So, by getting a 1ohm stable sub, there are no worries about frying anything.

Oh, by the way, you need to get 3 SingleVoiceCoil subs that are rated at 4ohms. Otherwise wiring will be a mitten.

If you are just getting two, then find a 2ch that puts out enough rms watts bridged to equal the total of your subs' rms watts. Then simply bridge the two subs in parallel. eg one pos/neg set of wires coming from amp, and then attach two pos wires off of the amp one, and two neg wires off of the amp one. Now you have two sets of speaker wire originating from the one. Attach each of these to their respective subs. In a box. Yep.

Hope this helps you with your decision making.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:22 AM
geo

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

to wire up three subs is easy. off of each speaker you have 4 spade terminals. 2 positive and two negative. run the speaker wire from the amp to the positive and negative terminals on one speaker. off of the other terminals on that speaker run a wire to the next speaker and same from the second speaker to the third. therefore you can keep the amp you have and have all three speakers hooked up
Old 03-26-2003, 10:27 AM

The amp he has probably doesn't have enough power to let him do that and make it sound good considering his amp was purchased with 2 subs in mind.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:25 PM

i want good sound.. not ghetto bass.. what do you guys think i should get? the reason i am going with 3 subs is b/c of the truck layout. 3 10's
Old 03-27-2003, 05:28 AM

If you want nice tight deep bass,not ghetto boooom bass, you are going to have to do several things.Basically, you want most of your mid and upper bass to originate from the front speakers.Keep the sub(s) playing the low stuff.When I say low I mean 50hz down.The more bass frequiencies above 50hz that you allow the sub to play,the more boomy it's going to be.

You don't necessarily need 3 subs,to get the low bass.A good 8" in a well designed enclosure will knock your socks off!!