Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Thinking about tinting my own windows to save costs

Old 04-28-2011, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8
Default Thinking about tinting my own windows to save costs

I was wondering if those who have tinted their own windows could give me some bits of advice so it looks good when Im done. I can either do it myself for around $40 or go to a shop and have them do it for $200. I would rather give it a shot first before spending all that money to have a shop do it. Ive never done it before but Im sure if I take my time, it cant be too hard, right? Appreciate any advice and tips you guys have. Thanks.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:10 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

Okay man, not trying to shoot you down but if you have never done it then don't even bother. Yes the cost of tint is dirt cheap but tinting is a skill that takes time, patience and usually alot of film to learn. You could start with the side quarters and move on to the doors to start with. These areas will be easiest. The back window will be a pain in the arse, big sheet of film shrinking, lots of trouble spots to flatten.

Tools:

Lots of tinting lube, stainless steel tinitng knives,heat gun, different plastic scrapers, non amonia window wash, a good trouble light.

Without these things you wouldn't catch me doing a full car. Like I said I don't want to discourage you by any means as I am a diyer meself. I have done tinting and I have a host of other skills, but tinting sucks!
Old 04-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

i have tried tinting a few times.. HATE it.. never had a good enough application to keep...

i will DIY lots of other things.. but tinting.. HELL no.. spend the ~200$ and get the car done by a PRO..

i have DIY'd clutch upgrades, transmission swaps, turbo kit installs, exhaust installs, brake upgrades, struts, sway bars, strut bars, intake manifold swaps, some wiring, radio installs, HIDs, etc.. and will never try to tint my own windows again
Old 04-28-2011, 05:37 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

I have a 6" visor tint on and got my first ticket this weekend! $225. ..they finally nailed me for something after all these years lol..still gonna fight it., Get your windows done professionally,no mistakes,and usually guarenteed for a bit.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

I tinted my windows. Im so picky about making it perfect, it took me close to 6 hours to do it. lol But they look great and I saved a ton by DIY.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Definitely let a pro do it.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Slapping a sticker on your window is NOT tinting (by definition). Pay to have them done (unless you are doing a drive-by and it's temporary)
Old 05-09-2011, 06:06 PM

Vehicle: 2001 tibby

I will tell you if you CAN afford it have it done by a pro - If not the side windows are easy the back window will probably make you wanna throw a brick through your window. Heatgun, microfiber, razor blade, soap and water and a sponge is all that is really needed.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:13 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX Turbo

The rear window would be too difficult, you might be able to do the sides to save some money. You might also want to shop around first $200 is too much.