Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Is This Sub Toast?

Old 12-28-2007, 04:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi. when i bought my tib, the previous owner threw in a crap sub and amp. anyways, i had the sub in the house and i dropped it on something and now there is a crack in the sub. will this sub still work or is it ready for the garbage? thanks.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:37 AM

Its probably done, or it will be soon from the vibrations that are caused by the bass, I've gotta think it'l be done shortly if not already. You can tell if its blown by pushing the middle of it so it flexes in and out, and if u hear metal on metal scrapping, its toast.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:49 AM

Once I was in an audio shop and they had a crack in a sub... they put kitty hair (bondo with fiberglass in it) whatever you want to call it... Directly over the crack and said it would work as if brand new... Now weather it did or not, I have no clue.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:19 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

^ I think bondo will crack when the sub moves it won't stay on very well. But I never tried it so I can't be sure.

The only thing i would try is maybe a 2 part epoxy it comes in packets or tubes and you have to mix it then put it on. It dries hard like plastic. What ever you use don't get any on the surround because if it hardens on there when it moves it might tear it.

Anything you put on there that gets hard when it dries has a chance of cracking and coming off when it plays. You can't really see it when it is playing but that cone bends and will flex under pressure.

I wouldn't say its a crappy sub but this is a good excuse to get a new one too!
Old 12-28-2007, 12:36 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Turbulence

Great excuse to buy a new one. wink1.gif
I wouldn't trust any attempts to repair it. You should plan on replacing it with a new sub regardless, and with that in mind - I say throw it back in the car and try it. If it sounds okay, then just keep using it until you can afford to buy a new one. If it sounds like crap, toss it.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:16 PM

i read this off of crutchfield.com,

"Q: I put a hole in the speaker with a screwdriver. Is my speaker ruined?"

"A: A small puncture from a screwdriver will not necessarily cause any performance or durability problems, provided you repair the hole.

This damage can be repaired with silicone sealer, and will not affect the performance of the speaker. Spread the silicone around the hole and smooth it down with your finger. Allow it to cure overnight before playing the speaker. "

i say give that a shot
Old 12-28-2007, 05:06 PM

that sub is cheap anyways. just get another from BestBuy, im pretty sure "Punch" is their brand
Old 12-28-2007, 05:51 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

No Punch is Rockford Fosgate.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:17 PM

lol punch subs are actually really nice.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:35 AM

geez, every time i hear them they sound like ass. usually b/c they are in the best buy cheepo clear front/chrome case with the TIGHT blue neon in it. haha.