Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Stock vs. Aftermarket switches?

Old 02-04-2005, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock vs. Aftermarket switches?

I'm about to install some undercar lights and some interior lighting and I want to hook it all up to a switch, which is where I have a problem.

Is there a way to use the stock "blank" switches on the left side of the steering wheel (2001 Tib, fog lights are the only real switch on the device)?

And if I can't use the stock switches, anybody know where I can get some aftermarket switches that don't look stupid?

Thanks.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:02 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

Wow, we were just talking about this. Unfortunately we have yet to find a way to utilize our blanks. If you have a connection with someone overseas, maybe, but right now they are useless until somebody can figure something else out.

In all honesty though, search before you post. We currently have an open thread about this.
http://www.rdtiburon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5430
Old 02-04-2005, 09:03 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Well, the blanks do not have any switch units behind them, but they do have the socket for them. I am trying to order some of the switches from kspec. Refer to this thread for some part numbers. You really need to research what goes where on the other side. Use this site for reference to part numbers.

Now, if you just want to use the top and bottom (like the defrost and cruise control), you can try getting the defrost and cruise and try it on that side... no guarentees it will fit/look right. Also, the defrost needs one of the white locking units in it (I got my extras from rd1 switches in a junkyard).

If your not up for some detailed time consuming work to make stock switches, check with Redzman or Tibby01. I beleive they both made switch plates that look good.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:11 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Don't listen to Silvertibbs, he has a RD1 and has no clue.

LOL

Doode, you have a 2000 or 2001 Tibby, you are lucky. The switches for the RIGHT SIDE will fit in the LEFT SIDE. Go hit the junkyards and find yourself a set of switches from a wrecked tib and toss them in the left side. There you go. OEM switches.

Also, you might check with www.kspec.com , we can get the switches for you, brand new, for cheaper than anywhere else.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:14 PM

SilverTibbs, perhaps I wasn't clear on what I needed. That post is about the 1st gen tib, i have a 2nd gen. Totally different switched and setup.

Redzman and Casper, thanks guys. Those part numbers were a pain to find.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:29 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

No problem man.

Now that I think about it.

You have a manual tranny?

Check this out.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-byYs3cY4AT0/c...oup.asp?g=93200

I've got one.

4 items you can control. I got a site with better prices if you want.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:31 PM

Man that's nice... Too bad I've got an auto. Darn tranny is the gift that keeps on screwing you.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:43 PM

I have to admit, those knobs sure beat the hell out of my knob with LED's installed..lol

Hey *certain admin* or tibby01 (who I know is busy..) if you could can you hit me up through pm, i'd like to do something like this with the switches, but not quite sure where to begin. Maybe we can "toss some ideas around."
Old 02-07-2005, 08:39 AM

i took the cigaretter lighter out of my car and put a plain black rocker switch in there. fit perfectly. its cool too cause it has a smal led light on it when turned on and my led's in my car are red so yay! plus i feel like james bond when i flip the ashtray open to turn them on. LOL
Old 02-07-2005, 08:47 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

You lucky 2nd Gen's laugh.gif:

I was looking at them and I'm gonna hit up a junkyard tomorrow to see if I can get the switch assembly from the right to apply to the left. It is the backing that causes the problems. Not the actual buttons.

Sorry bout the RD/RD2 mix up, I gotta start reading before I reply 02.gif