Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Son of a . . . Inside Driver Door Handle Snapped!

Old 02-25-2015, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra
Default Son of a . . . Inside Driver Door Handle Snapped!

This is yet one more reason you should keep at least some basic tools in your car. #2 philips is the tool you need to get out of this car (without opening the window) when the inside door handle breaks. I don't know why, but I expected more than ~15 years of service life before it snapped. If it's between this and a piston rod, I'll take this breaking any day, but oh well.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Shouldnt be too hard to fix or salvage a new handle.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Well, I ASSumed you couldn't buy "new" parts for our 15yr old cars anymore. Just found out I was wrong. Go buy all new handles.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Like 10 minutes after I started this thread a new OEM part was ordered for like $13 from an eBay seller a couple hundred miles away. I, too, was SHOCKED to see this part is still available new. Even there is a Dorman replacement part! I guess these have been snapping pretty frequently to have an aftermarket DOOR HANDLE available.

Till a couple days from now I'm pullin/pushing on the rods inside the door. Looking increasingly like a hoopty each year, but it still keeps driving as long as I keep fixing it so...

ETA: i did the math, the handle probably was pulled a half million times or so over the years. Then I started to do the maths on how many times the pedal joints have pivoted and the engine parts have spun and stopped when the decimal started shifting. No wonder cars get worn out.