Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Interior, Sound, Security (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/interior-sound-security-14/)
-   -   Something is wrong with my new deck! Help! (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/interior-sound-security-14/something-wrong-my-new-deck-help-6197/)

Alacritan 12-05-2002 10:18 AM

Yeah, that's basically what they told me at hyundaiperformance. I have the ignition and continuous switched. The deck lights stay on all the time, and the deck turns off completely when I turn the headlights on. It also has problems when it has to put too much power to the speakers. I just wanted to come over here and see what you guys thought, since there was much debate over at hyundaiperformance about this too.

Alacritan 12-05-2002 10:19 AM

I wired it according to the Hyundai Motor America Service wiring diagram and the instructions provided by Rockford Fosgate. I guess Hyundai had them switched on the diagram, cause it works otherwise. Thanks for clearing that up.

Alacritan 12-05-2002 10:21 AM

Madtib had it nailed with the resetting the eq and all. I guess he's seen this before.

Alacritan 12-06-2002 02:52 AM

It didn't work! The deck lights turn off correctly, but the deck still isn't getting enough power cause when I turn on the headlights, the deck still turns off, and when I turn up the deck loud it's still having problems. Does anyone have any idea what I'm missing?

MADTIB 12-06-2002 06:14 AM

Wow!!! You sure are having trouble.It sounds like for some reason the hu isn't getting enough power when the head lights are turned on.Do you have normal factory lights or did you up grade to HID's?

I'm not sure if the problem is the Fosgate,the head lights,or your wiring.At this point,I'd have to say the most likely problem is your wiring.

My recomendation is to splice the factory harness connectors back onto the harness,and buy an aftermarket harness adapter.You can get one for your Tib from Best Buy,Circuit City,Tweeter,or a car stereo speciality shop.I think mine cost like $10 or so.

Once you have the factory harness back together,then splice the Fosgate harness onto the harness adapter.Then it's simply plug-n-play.

If you have the same trouble after that,then it's either the Fosgate or you are having a problem with the electrical system.At that point you are more then welcome to e-mail me for help.Hell,maybe I can talk you through on the phone.

Just so you know..............I've been employed as an electronics technician for the last 7 years,and I've been heavily into car audio for the last 6 years.Not trying to seem like a know it all,just want you to know that I do know something about this stuff. :D

MaDHatteR 12-06-2002 08:09 AM

just run your power wire straight off the batery. That cd player comes with an inline fuse holder, right? That might save you some trouble and it is also how i ran myne.

Alacritan 12-07-2002 10:20 AM

What do you mean straight off the battery? It did come with an inline fuse holder, but how does that help? I thought it was coming straight off the battery.

MADTIB 12-08-2002 04:41 AM

You can try running a seperate wire from the battery tru the fire-wall to the deck,but I don't think that will solve the problem.

I think you should first try splicing the factory connectors back onto the factory harness,then use that adapter I told you about.That way,you can rule out the possibility of a wiring mistake you might have made.Just make sure you splice the correct wires back in place,which shouldn't be difficult.

Alacritan 12-08-2002 09:28 AM

I thought about it for a while, and I might have figured it out. The HMA service diagram shows the two center bottom wires on the factory harness as the standby and power wires. All the way to one side is the illumination wire. Why I didn't think of this before, I don't know, I must be an idiot. I think the diagram is wrong. The "illumination" wire is thick and black, while the ignition wire is orange. Strange? It seems they're switched on the diagram.

If you think about it, it makes sense. The illumination wire may be 12V, but not at the same current as the ignition, so if they're switched, I can run my deck, but only up to a certain volume, after which I draw too much current and the voltage drops below operable levels. Normally, the illumination current drops when you turn the headlights on, dimming the factory display. If you have the wires switched, the voltage ends up dropping to below operable levels again, just because it's trying to "dim" the display. Why would the only thick wire be for illumination? Because it's not the illumination wire, but the ignition wire, and I'm just an idiot for not thinking of this earlier. I'm going to try this tomorrow morning (and freeze my balls off cause there's only a high of 25F), so I'll let you know what happens. It makes sense right?

MADTIB 12-09-2002 06:12 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Normally, the illumination current drops when you turn the headlights on, dimming the factory display.</div>Yes,this is how it should work.If you have the Illum wire of the deck connected to the illum wire of the factory harness,that causes the brightness on the deck to lower once the headlights are turned on.

Now,your first problem was that the deck lighting would not turn off,and you were loosing presets.You fixed that by correctly wiring the continous 12v and ignition 12v.So,I don't see how you could have now confused the illum and ignition.

But then again,if you have the factory illum wire connected to the decks ignition input,you may have 12v present when the key is turned.Then when you hit the head lights,voltage drops down pretty low on the illum wire causing the deck to turn off.

You either need to:

(1)Get yourself a voltmeter so you can see what wires have what,or

(2)Splice the factory connectors back on and use an adapter.The adapter will make the wiring look much nicer and it is easier to make the correct connections so you don't run into all this trouble!