Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Some Advice Needed Please Guys.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

Hey chaps/chapesse's.

I'm nearly done on my kick all ass audio system now and it's nearing time to move onto phase 2.

I'm not a serious speed freak, my car has enough kick for me with the minor engine mods I have done and the trans in power mode.. so It's time to do the next logical thing.

Screen, gamecube & ps2.

Now, I already know where the gamecube is going.. I cant use my back seat and thus Im going to extend the center console down the middle behind the existing bit and build it right up to the back seat.. in there will be a gamecube sitting in a flip open box I shall fab coated in rhino hide vinyl (or poss CF).

Anyways, that's a no brainer.. couple of hours with the jigsaw and some bondo work..

Now, the inverter will be in the trunk (quick 'in out' with the wire under the back seat into the console) and I will be using wavebirds on the GC, so the front doesnt need to be accesible at all.

My dilemna is this, where to put the screen? well, I sorta have that answered.. overhead 7" LCD but was wondering if one of our more experienced doods could answer something for me?

Obviously its a cool place to house a screen, firstly as it sits in prime location (would drop right in front of the RV mirror) for not getting neck cramp, that part of the roof is shaped to look like a screen would blend well and I already have power there (for the overhead lights)

However, one thing I would need to do is get the video cable back down into the dash..

Now, that's where Im kinda screwed, Ive never removed a headliner before and really don't want to.. how hard is it to get a video cable (not a fat one) to the side pillar plastics? Once Im there I can handle that because we used to install tweeters up there.

Has anyone had experience wiring up to the roof of a tib? I cant put a screen anywhere else, I mean RD1's are pretty crampt and overheads appear invisible to the naked eye from outside the car when folded up.. plus I use a double din and removing it is non negotiable, as is spending $500 on a in dash double din head unit/screen.

A decent 7" overhead can be had for as little as $129 right now, and that's the figure I wanted to spend.. seeing as I need to find another $70 for a inverter and RF transmitter.

TIA !

Pandy

Oh, the reason... to save money in the winter.

I know that sounds mad right, but here in deep south Jerz the weather gets appalling in the winter and there aint much to do.. however, driving the car to remote locations with my beloved wife and then putting on the heaters and holding hands whilst watching a good movie over my pretty hard hitting system sounds spot on to me smile.gif
Old 06-23-2006, 12:04 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

as far as the headliner goes, its no problem. youll be fine. i like the idea. be sure to post pics
Old 06-23-2006, 12:11 AM

Thanks man.

I have noticed some cheapo el plastico poppers down the sides of the liner.. all I need to do is get the damn video AV wire to the side pillars of the windshield and Im laughing.. Bob's your uncle free pie and chips (and yeah I do sound like that gecko lmao.gif )

Cant do diddley squat til after the Vac in Chincoteague (my wife would castrate me if I put that in jeapordy) but hey, in september Im getting some cash sent from the UK and I dont really want this for the summer as the tib takes too long to cool down..
Old 06-26-2006, 03:33 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

taking off the headliner isnt too bad. you do need to remove all the panels around the edge of it, but apart from that its pretty quick. there are some weird clips holding it around the sunroof, but those come off pretty easily.

ever thought about a carpc? just putting the bug in your ear. search here for posts by "pudge". he did an awesome molding job on his radio facia and put a screen in there. then head over to mp3car.com and check out the faq section.

i think another one will be hooked in no time.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:48 AM

Im not really into car pcs which is odd because Im a big PC modder (mines the radiomactive, link below) I just dont see the functionality there.. sure you can watch movies and listen to music but I can do that with a PS2 (using a home brew mp3 player software).

You cant go on the net tho.. which kinda takes the fun out of it.

I used to post alot to mp3car but they hate on tib owners.. screw being called a ricer all the time it's gay.

I want the gamecube in there for mario, the wavebird works really good.. that'l be good for breaks at work, just go out to the parking lot and play a game...

The movies are soley what Im after tho, so me and the wife can spend some quality time... kinda like a drive thru.. there are alot of beautiful places here in south jerz, if you head down into salem county it's lovely.. so sitting watching the sunset and a movie sounds bliss smile.gif

http://www.auba18.dsl.pipex.com/andy/index.htm
Old 06-27-2006, 04:37 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Mold a 7" LCD into your double din radio surround. Take the ashtray out and you can put a deck in there.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:44 AM

Nah, Ill get a stiff neck looking down at it like that..

I want the overhead tbh, bad.. its out of the way, tidy and plus my overhead lights are a bit messed up so Ill get new ones built into the overhead lmao.gif

Still undecided about which console to put in there.. man, I want them all ! (gens, snes, n64, DC, ps1, ps2, GC etc) Ive not been into gaming at all since I got the car, but I bet I will once its in there lmao.gif
Old 06-29-2006, 09:36 PM
MKE

well, as for what to put in there and where it all should go, i would recommend the gc where you said, but get an xbox and mod it. take out the dvd drive, put in a 2.5" hdd (or stick with the standard one) and put all the emu's/roms/games you want on it. then you can extend the ethernet jack to a location where you can access it when needed, but it's not directly seen, the power button could be put next to the screen, and just get a wireless controller and throw the xbox under the seat w/ an extra fan or 2.

the only problem i really see with the ps2, is where you would put it. yeah, you could mod that too and use hdloader, but unlike the gc where all you need is the space for the disc, you need to have the console somewhere where there's about 6" to the left of the dvd drive, which would just offset everything i would think and make it not look as good.

now if your really good with electronics/custom fabricating stuff, what would be really neat is a cd changer modded to work with the ps2/xbox/gc laser. then you could have the changer mounted somewhere, and again have the console a little more hidden.

either way, post pics of what you plan on doing, and dont forget about ventilation for your electronics...
Old 06-30-2006, 12:41 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

pandy, more stuff to rough?! throw some tv's in and wrap them in the sun shades! i think i've seen someone in here do that.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:08 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

You can buy visors with built in screens. They usually work out pretty nicely.