Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Satelite Radio Antenna Installation...

Old 12-20-2005, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (tibbytib @ Dec 19 2005, 07:49 PM)
I'd say just try it inside. Its either gonna work there or not. If it doesn't, then deal with it then. One hurdle at a time.

That's prolly what I'll do. It's warm outside today, so I may give it a shot.

QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Dec 19 2005, 07:57 PM)
on metal 6 inches from glass or more? howabout under the heater, under by the sterio behind the stick shift, near the cup holders on the chassy?

Under the heater? Dude, it's supposed to be OUTSIDE the car so it can get a signal from satelites, under the heater or somewhere THAT far inside it won't get a signal at all.

QUOTE (RedShark @ Dec 19 2005, 08:31 PM)
i really don't suggest mounting in inside because even with mine outside, the signal fades out from time to time when going under a bridge or going by tall trees and in parking garages. i can imagine it would be worse if you have it mounted inside.

I live in New Mexico, not too much of a problem with those here. LOL
Old 12-20-2005, 10:49 AM

LOL yeah then you should be just fine! good luck! smile.gif
Old 12-20-2005, 12:40 PM

QUOTE (REDZMAN @ Dec 19 2005, 07:48 PM)
I'm considering running mine to the trunk and mounting it on the inside of the hatch lid.

You will get absolutely no signal unless you are going to attach it to the glass. It has to have a clear path to the sky with no metal in the way. Glass and plastic are not a problem, but any metal obstruction will black out reception in the direction of the area it's covering, similar to a microwave alarm sensor. If you live in an area without many repeaters, you could gain or lose the connection every time you make a turn.

It doesn't have to be mounted on top of something metal, but that can help with reception. But definitely not under metal. People get good results even adding a small square of aluminum foil. Placing a small magnet under it can often boost the signal reception even more, although yours likely has a magnet in it already.

I don't like to advertize what I have either. I found two great spots, both a pain to get to though.

1. Under the wiper cowl. This is where my GPS mouse is currently located, which is the same size as your antenna. I added some silicone to all seals, even though it's supposed to be waterproof. No problem getting a good signal through the cowl.

2. Under one of the dash tweeter grills. I don't even use those speakers, so this would be another good location with a clear view for the antenna. That's where I want to put mine, but getting that grill off was impossible, so I'll wait until the next time I take apart the dash. You could even mount it under the middle of the dash if you were able to get it up there, that would be better than the other locations.

The best reception is on the roof. You could get an oem sharkfin style antenna housing and seal it in there. It would look good on an RD IMO. But I didn't want to drill through my roof just yet, and I doubt you do either.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:14 PM

Redz, does your head unit have a av output jack thing on it? Because you can just get the plug and have the XM unit set to "direct tuner", so it goes through your head unit and not through your frequency. That's how my mom has it hooked up in her Tib. That wire usually costs $5 to $10.

In my Tib though, I have the antenna resting on the dashboard. I usually never lose signal unless I'm in a tunnel (which is never). The antenna is also magnitized too, so if there is anything metal, it can cling to it.

Like I said, for me, it doesn't matter where I put it since I usually don't lose signal.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:47 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (fonseca @ Dec 20 2005, 12:40 PM)
You will get absolutely no signal unless you are going to attach it to the glass.

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=1426&st=20

In that thread I thought I read that you could do it on the inside of the hatch, it ends out he put it on the hatch cover. I'll give that a try maybe...

although yours likely has a magnet in it already.

Yup.

1. Under the wiper cowl. This is where my GPS mouse is currently located, which is the same size as your antenna. I added some silicone to all seals, even though it's supposed to be waterproof. No problem getting a good signal through the cowl.

GREAT IDEA!!! And close to the stereo too. I'll try this first.

I have great reception here in NM, good part about the high desert.

QUOTE (ToXiC_LovE @ Dec 20 2005, 01:14 PM)
Redz, does your head unit have a av output jack thing on it?

What do you mean? My head unit is an alpine CDA 9827.

That's the back.

It's got like 3 sets of outputs and the AI Net thing for input. I will be wiring it direct to the stereo.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:42 PM

Honestly, I cannot remember seeing a shot of your car.. but if you have a spoiler.. ever consider modifying that to mount the antenna INSIDE it?
Old 12-20-2005, 07:45 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

For awhile I mounted my GPS antenna on the rear hatch tray thing. Then I mounted it outside in the center just above the hatch. Reception was better when it was outside. The XM antenna should be basically the same.