Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Rubber Grommets In Wheel Well

Old 07-19-2009, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone know what the purpose of the two rubber pieces where the spare tire go are for>?? i thought that water was coming up thru mine but that wasn't the case, so i sealed all around em. is that ok or do they serve a purpose to let moisture out or something?? and where can i get 2 new grommets at/ what is the oem part number thx

matt
Old 07-19-2009, 01:18 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

you are correct, they are only used to let wet drain, as most of the body plugs on any low spot in the body. you can get new plugs but my suggestion to you is to get some sound dampening and cover the sprare tire well completely.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:26 AM

so is it ok if i hav siliconed all around both plugs from the bottom of the trunk and inside the wheel well or do the plugs need to just be left alone. can water actually drain out the plugs when they are left in and is it normal to have moisture or water in the wheel well, as i sometimes have a decent amount of water down there and other times i have just moisture.. anyone know tha part # for the new plugs thx
Old 07-19-2009, 03:23 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

what you have done as of now is fine.

if you are still getting moisture in the spare tire well it is most likely the damn rear vents behind the rear wheels on each side of the hatch. you probably have one or a few of the rubber flaps on the vents gone and that is how moisture is getting in the rear.

another place to look is to see how good your see is around your tailights.

you may want to look at my build on my car to get ideas on how i sealed the rear vents. i went a little overboard but i dont have any problems anyore so i dont really consider it overboard.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:51 AM

i see a grilled vent next the the driver side rear tire. but not on the other side by the passenger side rear? is it the vent that u can see when u open the trunk that is right next to the trunk light? how woould water be coming in there and where can i see pics of how u sealed them. thx man. i already sealed real good around the tail lights. thx for your help