Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Relocating temp controls to glove box

Old 10-17-2011, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon
Default Relocating temp controls to glove box

Ive been thinking about tackling this project on for awhile and I think Im going to relocate my 3 temp gauges to the glove box. I can build something to hold them all in place so they dont flop around but what Im wondering is will I have to get new longer hoses or do you think the stock ones will reach? I know I'll probably have to lengthen the wiring. What kind of hose is it that I would need?

In case anyone is wondering, I'll be putting a wideband, oil pressure, and either a boost gauge or nitrous pressure gauge depending on what I decide on, in the spots where the temp controls where.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:18 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

Take a good look behind the crash pad with the facia panel removed and the hvac controls exposed. You'll need to also extend the mechanical linkage to the hot/cold air control knob.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

judging by when i had the dash off and everything, it would be more complicated that you would initially think to do this. you would definately need to extend some stuff though, me thinks..
Old 10-19-2011, 08:46 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

whoa, that would be a huge job man! The biggest problem I can think of is physically routing the control wires from one side of the HVAC unit to the other - iirc the temp mixer and zone control is in the passenger footwell. That is okay, but the recirc valve is under the driver's knees. It would be hard to shape the wire so that everything still reaches.

I mean, the three gauges would look cool there, but that is a buttload of work.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:13 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

If it were me, I'd fab a gauge mount that would fit inside of the air vents above the HVAC controls and just live with the restriction to the airflow while still have gauges that "look" like they're supposed to be there. The air vent opening is a larger diameter than the guage is so air would still flow around the guage pod and into the cabin, just not as forceful and onto the driver/passenger face as with the OEM open vent. You could even put one in the driver's door vent as well (run wires through door) if you need space for three.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Probably easier to fab a custom gauge pod/air vent thing than to relocate the controls. Unless you have no fabrication skill in which case either task may be too difficult.