Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Relays For Stereo Until Door Opened

Old 07-29-2007, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Hey all!

I dislike the fact that the stereo turns off when I take the key out of the ignition. I would like it more if it stopped when I actually get out of the car. The 12volt has some diagrams on how to do this:
http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp

I was just thinking of doing the simple 2 relay thing. This would mean that everything would behave as if the key was still in ACC position until I first open a door.
Did anybody do this? And do you see a problem with this? What else is on the ACC circuit?
Old 07-29-2007, 11:38 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Everything that comes on when you turn on your car is on the ACC circuit. You should look at just hooking up the stereo hot-at-on wire to the new circuit you are making.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:43 AM

I would need the three relay circuit they show, otherwise if I (through the relays) connect that wire to +12V, all the ACC circuit will be at +12V - right?
I can't think of what else is on the ACC circuit except the air blower though. The lights and power mirrors work without the key at ACC, the power windows work only with the key at ON..

By the way, thank you DTN! You are always being very very helpful esp. with electronic stuff smile.gif
Old 08-04-2007, 08:26 PM

An update - I just did this and it works smile.gif I did the two relay circuit on the ACC wire. The ACC circuit has the audio, power mirror switch (I think) and the clock. I'm glad I did the whole circuit, it would be weird if the clock went out but the radio didn't.
If anyone is interested for more info (for RD2) - the ACC wire you need to tap into is the White/blue wire at the ignition harness. The Yellow/Black wire is always hot. You can get a ground wire by connecting a terminal to the big metal plate underneath the dash. The door trigger wire was already tapped in for the alarm, so I'm not sure exactly how to find it (though I read it's a black/white wire in the driver's kick panel).