Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Rear Seat Modification

Old 03-02-2009, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent the night in my car a little while ago (long story involving snow and a mountain) and although it was alright because I had a blanket on me, it would be a whole heck of a lot more comfortable if the damn rear seats would fold flat to be flush with the floor of the trunk.
Is there anyway I could lower where the seats hinge forward? Or make them thinner to lay lower when folded down? I
f anyone has done something similar, I would be extremely happy to hear any ideas or tips. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-02-2009, 02:10 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

The only mods on here for the back seat is to remove them and make the floor flat.

You can find it by searching through the DIY section.

As far as modding the hinges I don't think anyone has done it since theres not much reason to.

Do you plan on sleeping in the car alot that you want to make it more comfortable? Just curious.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:18 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Please read and follow the site rules. The DIY section is to POST DIY's, not to ask for help. Your thread belongs in the INTERIOR section.

Mods, please move this.

Searching will find DIY's for how to make the back flat, but options are only limited on the money you want to spend.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:21 PM

Vehicle: 06 suby impreza outback sport

doing it in the car is a curse. i know plenty of people who did it and all their cars ended up in a crash later on.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:58 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ You should never be "doing it" while driving. I've only had a crash in one car I've did it in.

As for the rear seat, I'd do a rear seat delete. It makes alot of room. Had I planned better, I think I would have done that first and used it as a removable platform for future modifications.

Heck, I think it would be better to FG a toolbox with flip up wooden lids into the back seat then to have the back seat at all. It's pretty much worthless because our cars are coupes. Only kids ages 5-15 are comfortable in the back seat... but then where are you going to set things? A toolbox/storage box would be much more appropriate, plus it could act as a foundation for a FG structure, or a rack for amplifiers.

Of course, all of that could be removed if you planned to take a road trip because you'd have plenty of room to get to it.

here's some good pictures http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtop...&hl=%22*%22
Old 03-02-2009, 09:18 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

QUOTE (lilo shark @ Mar 2 2009, 07:21 PM)
doing it in the car is a curse. i know plenty of people who did it and all their cars ended up in a crash later on.

I've done it in every car I've ever had. Hell, I lost my virginity in the back seat of a 1988 Chevy Sprint.

They've all been in an accident one way or another I suppose, but they are all fine.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:36 PM

I thought this was the interior section? Sorry if I misunderstood.

I was planning on taking a long road trip in the future, and since hotels are more expensive than I care for, I thought I'd just sleep in my car.

Taking the seats right out was something I had considered doing before, but I have people sit back there just enough that I need them. Maybe I could raise the floor of the trunk to meet the folded seats level. Or lower where the hinges sit so the seat folds lower? More thinking is required I guess.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:47 AM

Correct me if i'm wrong but wouldn't you lift the seat hinge? So the front would go lower and be flatter.

If you lower the hinge the front would be up more.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:08 AM

Well when the back folds down now its higher than the floor of the trunk. so I think the hinge should be lower, to meet with the floor. I think for it to still fold flat though I would have to thin down the back :S
Old 03-03-2009, 02:15 AM

Ah I see what your saying now.

But I think if you lower the hinge the front will stick up more.

I haven't seen anyone do this in the tib or any other car and it might involve more work than you think. I'm not sure you could move it lower because of the seat bottom. There isn't much space to go lower if any.

Just remember if you go drilling holes or anything in the floor be careful of what is under where you are drilling or cutting.