Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Radio Installation

Old 04-01-2006, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im havin trouble install my cd player. i matched up all the wires commin from my cd player to the ones from the hyundai harness, but the radio does not turn on...wtf is the problem i cant figure it out..i did notice however if i connect the yellow 12v and the red 12v it will turn on...but i need to know the correct way to do this.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:03 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon FX

You probably blew a fuse. The constant 12v is usually under the hood.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:05 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Just make sure you use a good ground OTHER than whats in the wiring harness. Some people have had trouble with the stock ground in that harness. Find a good bolt somewhere under there that is in direct contact with the frame. Use that as your grounding point for the HU.

Then, just make sure the hot 12V from the battery (hot all the time) is connected to the Yellow wire on you HU and the hot 12V from your accessories (hot when your car is turned on) is connected to the red wire. Piece of cake. fing02.gif
Old 04-01-2006, 10:47 AM

well the fuse helped, and the problem is not the ground..if i connect yellow to yellow(battery 12v) and red to red (12v constant) nothing happens...but if i connect all 4 together then the radio is on all the time...i did notice this tho, and this may be a problem..there is a remote comming out of my radio...there is a remote on one side of the harnesses..then on the other side where the wires go way in back behind the dash, there is no remote wire...could this be why my radio doesnt turn on with the key?, if thats too hard to understand i can get my camera and a picture
Old 04-01-2006, 11:02 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

yeah i had the same problem with the ground that the harness uses

for some reason iguess hyundai decided to use the crappiest ground possible

and yeah a pic would help man
Old 04-01-2006, 11:27 AM

thats where the remote goes, and there is a wire missing...that might be why the radio doesnt turn on with the key turn..but im not sure because i ran a wire from the remote leaving the radio to the sunroof fuse and it still didnt turn on so im confused...

thats definitly the problem. i need to wire up a remote...i tried wiring the remote to the clock fuse, and as soon as i did that, the clock stayed on and my radio stayed on even if the key was removed...idk now
Old 04-01-2006, 11:48 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Ok, the remote wire you are talking about is a wire that remotely turns on amps for subs or other speakers. You need this wire ONLY if you have an amplifier in your car that is running speakers or subs. Otherwise, tape this wire up so it doesn't ground out on anything. It sounds to me that you have a fuse blown somewhere and that is not allowing you to have both +12V sources connected. This is REQUIRED for your HU to turn on , and is why when you touch all 4, 2 Hot from the car, and 2 from your HU, you get it to power up. One of the hot wires from your car is not working.

Use a test light if you have one:

1. Check all your fuses
2. With all 4 wires connected: turn the ignition off and see if your head unit turns on. If it DOES, then the Hot from the battery is ok, but the hot from your accessories has a blown fuse.
3. With all 4 wires connected: if 2. doesnt work, then turn your ugnition on and see if the unit powers up. If this is the case, then your are not getting the hot from the battery and need to check those fuses. They maybe in the engine compartment. I doubt this is the case, because then you would have other electrical components in your car that would not be working as well.

option 4: (what I would recommend)

Use only the stock wires for the speakers. RE-WIRE your ground as I stated above, run a lead from the battery to your headunit's yellow wire, and tap into your cabin fuse box, use an accessories extender that plugs into a place in your fuse box and use this lead as for your Red wire on your HU. Use a fuse that is hot when the ignition is turned to accessories or on. I just used the radio fuse for this.

I have ran this setup for the past 6 years with no problems. Hope this helps you out. fing02.gif
Old 04-01-2006, 12:22 PM

thank tibbytib for all your time and help. i just ran the acc. to a fuse. the ground is okay, i used stock one. i want to thank everyone else for givin me options, cuz the fuse under the hood was blown and i woulda never thought of that...thanks everyone..mod you can lock this