Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Radar Detector

Old 05-01-2009, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

Ok im looking to buy a radar detactor soon and dont know where to start...

I know i dont want it powered by my cig lighter and i dont want it mounted in my on top of dash...looking to install right above the hole for OB2 harness or on top of steering column...

i do have these switches

i dont know if it could be wired into on of those...

im only looking to pay between 100-200 at max

people enlighted me
Old 05-01-2009, 08:47 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Look for a 12band or higher radar detector. The more bands your radar detector can detect, the higher the chance of signal acquisition. Radars can only transmit in authorized frequency bands. Radar manufacturers are crafty and they get the FCC to authorize new bands for use with RAdio Detection And Ranging devices each year.

The problem with what you want is location. A radar sensor has to have direct line of sight with the source of radiation. Same with laser. This means you want it up high. A unit with a separate display will do the job you want it to, but you said you were on a budget in the shoutbox. Those units cost alot more. You're probly going to want to buy a standard Radar detector and hard wire it into the car.

In my car I was able to tap power from the sunroof. there is more then enough room to install a lighter plug in the roof and just plug the power outlet in and stick it next to the sunroof console. The unit sits way up next to the tint strip so it's not even noticeable from outside the car. Noone even notices from inside or even outside the car until I turn it on and it says "system ready", then they say "your car talks to you?" and I say no, it's the radar detector. I've got less then 1 inch of wire exposed and you can't really see it because it's next to my rear view mirror. It's practically wireless.

Now, the other thing you'll probably want is a feature called auto-mute. This looks at the spikes from the alternator which corespond to engine RPM and mutes the radar when the RPMs are lower then the level which you set them. This keeps your radar from going off when you are at a stop light with a police officer next to you or when you're creeping along at idle.

Radar detectors used to be just radar detectors. Now they interface with GPS to find locations of traffic cameras and everything else. You can pay what you like.

Get this one http://cgi.ebay.com/Cobra-XRS9955-Radar-De...bayphotohosting

I just found this. It may be what you're looking for, it's in your price range. http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Whistler-PRO-3450-...93%3A7|294%3A50
Old 05-01-2009, 08:55 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

would mounting it on top of steering column affect anything as far as detection
Old 05-01-2009, 09:50 PM
DTN

It needs to have line of sight. It has to be somewhere it can see over the seats in the car.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:08 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

i hardwired my Solo S2 directly to the green/black cig wires and ran the wire under the passenger dash, up through the windshield column and tucked it into the roof where it can't be seen. the detector sits right next to the mirror on the right side. 'aint no problem with it, wire is barely seen, no hassle because it runs on AA batteries too.

only problem is it doesn't turn on when i turn the car on. i'd like to go Bond style and upgrade my GPS unit to be able to use satellite and detect radar and pinpoint where it is on my map. it is possible. i just don't know how.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:27 PM

My cousin is a cop he told me not to waist my money becuse they have it so when they driving and they c someone and it looks like they speeding thats when they hit the trigger.

They dont sit with it on i guess.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:34 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

that is what they want you to know
Old 05-03-2009, 10:15 PM
DTN

Depends on where you're from. Around here they sit with it on.