Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

power inverters

Old 04-17-2013, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra
Default power inverters

my recent issues with gigantic extension cords made me realize i should probably invest in a decent power inverter that can run stuff like my corded impact wrench and my die grinder. now i currently own a cheap cigarette lighter one which is good for your basic small bullshit like soldering and such, just need something stronger.

any recommendations? or should i just invest in a cordless setup for all my tools...
Old 04-17-2013, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Air. Get air tools. Bigass compressor for the shop/driveway, small compressor for work offsite.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

You better have a good battery or you will have to keep the car running as the voltage will quickly drop.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:49 PM

::facepalm:: air compressor requires electricity

guess I should look into cordless tools
Old 04-18-2013, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Small compressor can be run off your cigarette lighter . . . charge up medium-small tank. How hard was that?
Old 04-18-2013, 09:19 PM

pretty sure my 100 watt inverter isnt gonna run any compressor strong enough for an impact wrench
Old 04-19-2013, 12:01 AM

Vehicle: 2010/Hyundia/Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track

Originally Posted by faithofadragon
::facepalm:: air compressor requires electricity

guess I should look into cordless tools

Did you consider an air tank? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-10-...T10H/202528456

Not sure what you need it for, but you can compress the air at home with plenty of electricty into a tank, and keep a tank in your trunk and use that to power your air tools if you need them on the go. I used to have a huge 200gal compressor, but they are expesive, and when it broke sucked. Now I have a tiny 1gal compressor, a massive tank, and a protable tank. When I am doing nothing (watching tv ect) That little guy takes forrever to fill that massive tank, but when it is full, I can work on my car for hours and keep using the air tank. When I am done, I start up the little guy and fill the big tank. When the little guy dies, I buy a new cheap one. And when I want to fill tires and don't want to move the gar into the garage or get a long hose, just take the tiny air tank out and fill the tired really quickly. And if you somehow use all the air out of the tiny one (are you paiting your car along the shoulder? lol) then you can as stocker said, fill that small tank with a cig lighter air compressor or battery powered compressor they sell in emergency kits, though not sure how high psi they get.

But you don't need a compressor large/strong enough to run an air tool. As a matter of fact, I don't think anyone makes a compressor strong enough to run air tools....They make compressoers that can quickly fill a small tank with hih psi and that high psi runs the air tool and the compressor can keep filling the tank if not used quick enough. Or a compressor that takes a while to fill a huge tank and then can run off the tank and the compressor will kick in to top it off every now and then.

Though I see any power inverter that will be used to power any compressor of size will mostly drain you battery if your car is off, waste a ton of gas if your car is on and/or possiblyy blow fuses and or fry expsive wiring/components. Unless you use the inverted to power a small compressor jsut to fill an air tank and then you can keep using that air tank to power your air tools and keep pressuring that air tank with the compressor. And an air tank can fill your tires fast! Battery power tool can't do that. Though still use a valve or a pressure regulator, rapidpresurizatoin isn't a good idea generally. If you fill your tires too fast, it will create a ton of heat, and when cooled down, your tires will 'deflate' back to a lower psi. Or over pressureization, that is very bad too, for your health.....lol