Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Painting Tips

Old 03-02-2008, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I just painted a certain body part (on the car, pervs...) and I need to get that super high shine on it. I did my tail lights a few months ago, and after doing rubbing and polishing compound and then another polish, I could only get a mid-dull glow. I let it be, but for this project, I really need that super shine.
Right now, I have it fully clearcoated (about 2 light and 3 pretty wet layers) so it looks pretty shiny. Problem is, there's a few dust particles and other bumps on it, so I can't just leave it as is, plus I'd like to get it just a touch shinier. Last time, I just did rubbing compound, then polishing compound, both listed here:

Then I used the meguiar's polish:

That didn't give me the shine that I wanted. It's as though I needed a stage between the polishing compound and this polish, or an extra polish after this.
So for what I'm planning, to get the dust and other bumps out, I'll probably 2000 grit wetsand it, then use the rubbing compound (should I?) and polishing compound, then some other product.
So any advice as to what to use for that last step (or two or three) to a final nice shine? Just saw DTN's new speaker box with an absurd finish, so anything close to that would be great!
Old 03-02-2008, 09:13 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

LOL That's right after painting mang. I didn't polish it one bit. Here's a current pic.

One thing I've learned is that you can't shine a turd. If it's not shining up just yet, try using 1,000 grit sand paper, then 2,000 grit sand paper, then repeat the process.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:18 PM

^^ Yeah, I figured it was... lol
My problem is, I started with a really shiny part (my tail lights, after a clearcoat), and the rubbing compound and polishing compound gave it that haze. I guess they have a bit of a grit in it and they intentionally make it a bit more dull. Even the polishing compound didn't make it come out as I wanted. So I didn't start with a turd, or even a scratched up piece of paint, I started with a pretty shiny piece and ended up with a dull (no scratches or bumps) piece. I need something that will take it from the dull to the shine.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:19 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

hate how the paint isn't completely black in the end. it's more gray. rustoleum is the blackest finish i've seen but otherwise it matches the dash to about 80/85%.

looks good.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:20 PM
DTN

Rubbing compound will take off a layer. Then polishing compound will shine up what the rubbing compound sanded off. Maybe you need more polishing compound. They work as a system before waxing. Try using more pressure.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:27 PM

So you just use polishing compound as your final step? I did mine long and hard and still couldn't get the shine... But I can give it a try again. What polish do you use?
Old 03-02-2008, 09:40 PM
DTN

no, sanding, rubbing, and polishing conditions the paint to the point of being flat and unnoticably marred. Then you can use some swirl remover and wax to bring out the shine.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:41 PM

^^ Yeah, that's where I'm at, flat and unmarred. Now what do you use for the swirl remover and wax?
Old 03-02-2008, 10:19 PM
DTN

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=25581
Old 03-03-2008, 08:37 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Use 3M polishing compound. Its the best I have ever come across.