Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Older Amps

Old 06-12-2006, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1992 Honda Accord EX

I just got ahold of a few older amps. I dunno if they work or not, but I was wondering if they would be worth using (or using).

Rockford Fosgate Punch 45HD
JVC KS-A202
Precision Power PPI-2075M
Concord HPA-51 Car-ponent

I know they're old, but can anyone shed some light on these items?
Old 06-12-2006, 11:10 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

Hey man do I have the place for you laugh.gif

Try www.soundbuggy.com

I post there all the time, infact my phoenix gold is 12 years old laugh.gif
Old 06-13-2006, 01:25 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

^fool joke.gif

they went out of business wink1.gif
Old 06-13-2006, 09:11 AM

hehe the business is gone but the website lives on laugh.gif

Most important thing is that employees and techs from PG and RF post on there all the time wink1.gif
Old 06-13-2006, 09:56 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

ive always heard old rf amps are b****in.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:56 PM

TBH all old amps are amazingly good.

Quite simply because in the early 90s when car audio first evolved the products were made with top quality components and generally cost ALOT more than today.. even the wiring used then was 4 times more expensive than the wire you buy now..

Amps then were made with top quality components and most importantly IN THE USA.. I even feel patriotism for things that say "made in the USA" and actuall mean it.

Since then companies have realised that your average person cannot afford a luxury system in his car and thus have moved everything to asia and started banging it out on a production line using crap components and crap boards.

Price has been dramatically reduced however, I just paid $79 shipped for my Kicker amp which will be running the components.. but just taking one look at it next to my Phoenix gold thats going on the sub and you can tell it pales in comparrison.

The PG has gold plated everything, the output stages are modular and the actual stage can be disconnected and replaced without even heating up a solder iron.

I remember back in the day I bought a RF punch 40 for 240 pounds, it was exactly the same on paper as the kicker I just got for $79 shipped.

My Phoenix gold amp was $389 new, I paid $135 for it and it looks as good as new.. works perfectly.

Another thing you may or may not have noticed is how crap amps are now technically.

When I bought my solobaric I knew it would wire to 2ohms.. 2 4 ohm coils.

So I started looking for a good amp that ran 2 ohm mono for less than $250.. forget it.

All the amps in that bracket (even a couple of soundstreams, one a tarantula) could only go 2 ohm in stereo and 4 ohm bridged.

And then it dawned on me.. to get an amp as good as the PG now and at the same rated power (600w mono into 2ohms) I would have to go into the over $300 bracket.. the same as it cost new.

So car audio in sorts hasnt become 'cheaper for the same' you still get what you pay for down to the last penny.. difference is back then there was no such a thing as crap mass produced car audio (radioshack had a go mind you LOL) so amps then for the same spec and qual cost the same as they do now.. only now you have a 'cheap crap but looks as good as old amps' option.

Pandy, the old fashioned twot.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:09 PM

LOL

I been hearing the same about the RF. I'll put the RF and the PPI to work.

I currently have a PG Octane 4.0:2 and it works fine. The right side rca input is broken, but it's very nice
Old 06-13-2006, 07:43 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

If the RF is 2 channel, then I had that same one back in the day. That thing rocked. I had it bridged powering my first subwoofer. Not it's intended purpose but it still rocked. I remember I tried using a gazillion watt Jensen amp to power the same sub and it didn't even come close to the RF. My first introduction to "not all amps are made the same"
Old 06-13-2006, 08:13 PM

All four amplifiers are 2 channel