Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Noob Questions

Old 09-05-2003, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Honda

OK, I never really cared about car audio. Honest.

But, I got a job at Best Buy, so I have "the" discount. Basically anything we sell I get around 50% off.

I want a new head unit, speakers all around, and maybe some kind of sub or something.

One question is, with the sub, do I need an amp? That sounds really dumb, but like I said, I know nothing about car audio. I'm asking because I'm cheap, I just need to know. If I do need an amp, what's an alright one, like what specs/numbers should I look for? Any brands notoriously crappy?

What brands are good? I always liked Pioneer for speakers and head units, but for subs, we sell Rockford Fosgate, I've heard they are good, but are they really? I'm not looking to win competitions or wake up people 5 blocks away, I just want my stuff to sound nice, and not like crap, I'm sure we sell crap, but I have no clue what it is beyond looking at price.

I have a Sony head unit now, I got it when I first got my car, it's alright, but I just want some new flavor.

Anyone with a Tiburon has a rattling SOB car. Honestly, I turn my music up to get rid of the rattles. Would Dynamat or ANYTHING get rid of all the noise in my car?
Old 09-05-2003, 02:15 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

HU = Clarion if you can get it.

Speaker = JL or Kenwood.

Amp = Kenwood, that's what I got.

RF is good, and quality counts.

No rattles here man, maybe just the licence plate frame now and then.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:21 AM

You serious? My stuff rattles BADLY. I mean everywhere. If there's no music then all the rattles drive me nuts and keep me awake at night thinking about them. :-)
Old 09-05-2003, 09:52 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

QUOTE (HyundaiJVX)
One question is, with the sub, do I need an amp? That sounds really dumb, but like I said, I know nothing about car audio. I'm asking because I'm cheap, I just need to know. If I do need an amp, what's an alright one, like what specs/numbers should I look for? Any brands notoriously crappy?

with a sub, you do need an amp. when looking at amps, try to find their RMS power rating. that is a better indicator of how they perform. dont judge an amp by its peak power numbers.

QUOTE (HyundaiJVX)
Anyone with a Tiburon has a rattling SOB car. Honestly, I turn my music up to get rid of the rattles. Would Dynamat or ANYTHING get rid of all the noise in my car?

dynomat would fix ur problem, and is pretty easy to install if u have some screwdrivers and the webtech.

also, when u look for speakers, go to www.crutchfield.com and click on the "what fits my car" tab. it will give u a list of what size speakers u need, and a whole bunch of different kinds. if u r just looking for something that sounds decent, just make sure that u get stuff that u have heard of. also, i would talk to some of the people that work in the car audio section, see what they have in their cars.. ive had experience with these things.

speakers = infinity kappas, blaupunkts, bazookas(all were good. kappas r awesome, but expensive)

subs = JBL gts, MTXs (both r good)

headunit= panasonic ( have one in my car and put 2 in my friend's cars. they perform and look awesome)

amp = 2 profile(cheap amps but havent broken yet and r pretty strong)

as soon as i get my friend's subs/amp hooked up, i will tell u how the profile amps deal with a 2ohm load.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:58 AM

Vehicle: 1999 BMW 328i

look at pioneer and alpine HUs. if you get something too cheap, it WILL make you wish you never bought it.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:26 PM

Nogo, I agree fully.

How about this?

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-RCBl9...hp750&s=0&wm=su

It's got everything I want and I like Pioneer. Any opinions?

Also, how do you guys like XM Radio?
Old 09-11-2003, 04:05 PM

Get the 8500MP man, it's mucho nicer and just a bit more.

I almost went Pioneer earlier.

XM and Sirrus, don't know who's better.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:09 PM

well i got a clarion touch screen and it is sooo sweet and i have sirus radio and love it... best head unit tv ever.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:12 PM

Don't start man, I've got the same one.

I call it the GOD HU.

lol.gif

But that's not what he's looking for or planning on spending I belive.