Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

NEXUS 7 Install. DTN, HELP!

Old 09-02-2012, 01:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon
Default NEXUS 7 Install. DTN, HELP!

I am in need of a solution to complete a pretty nice and relatively easy install of a Nexus 7 in the Tib.

I need to know how to mod the tablet to get it to fully power up when the USB is plugged in/or gets power since it will be wired in to an accessory 12+.

Also knowing how to completely power down the tablet via a widget or setting would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance to whomever can point me in the right direction!
Old 09-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I was considering this same install and I've been doing research.

Tasker - can put it in Airplane Mode and kill various apps when power is disconnected. This mode will allow the tablet to last several days

Some people are using Automateit:

On Power Disconnect > Turn Airplane Mode On

On Power Disconnect > Set Display Timeout to 5 seconds

On Power Connect > Turn Airport Mode Off

On Power Connect > Set Display Timeout to Never

You may be able to find more help here. Many people are using Acer A100.

http://www.gencoupe.com/interior-200...t-install.html

https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/f...ndroid-tablet/

http://www.gencoupe.com/diy-do-yours...r-install.html

Many are using Sygic or IGO for their GPS.

It also seems like the tablet requires 2.1A charger.

Originally Posted by BryanJca
Just make sure its not the one for iPad or iPhone. it has to have the "T" logo on it next to the 2.1A marking. I am assuming right now that any of the scosche chargers with the "T" logo should work but this is the only one I have tested.

This NO:

This YES:

Old 09-02-2012, 01:40 PM

Nice man!! Great info! Will look into ALL of the above! Still hoping some may know a way to hack a system file or something to get the unit to power up when the USB gets power. Would make for an almost perfect install!

I'll post pics soon. I have to say, it already looks and sounds great in the car!
Old 09-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Does the tablet ever actually turn off? I don't have an Android tablet but I do have an iPad. It never turns off, just goes to sleep for a week or two at a time. I don't see why you would need it to actually turn OFF... and if you do actually turn it off, that means the software won't be able to turn it back ON because there's no software running. A physical button would have to be pressed.

Genesis owners are tapping into their USB power and using a converter to power the tablet. Power is only available when the car is on, so the apps use "triggers" for events. When the tablet is connected to power, brightness increases to MAX, Airplane Mode is turned off, Bluetooth turned On, and the screen is set to never turn off.

When power disconnects, it puts the screen to sleep, closes apps, turns off WiFi and Bluetooth, and anything else that will drain the battery. Won't tablet batteries last for days/weeks without needing a charge?
Old 09-03-2012, 09:58 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

When power disconnects, it puts the screen to sleep, closes apps, turns off WiFi and Bluetooth, and anything else that will drain the battery. Won't tablet batteries last for days/weeks without needing a charge?

I would think that this would work fine, but what happens in the odd circumstance where you need to reset the tablet. Lets say something goofs, would you have to rip apart the interior to access the power button to restart it?

tibbytib, where in the car are you mounting the tablet?? I may wish to copy you on this as it's something I've wanted to do for a long time. Actually I've really wanted to build a real car pc, but now that we have tablets available I really don't see the point any more.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Some people have made a pin-hole to hit the reset button.

I have zero experience with tablets besides the limited use with my iPad, but I've never had to reset my iPad. I'm really not sure how I would. It simply goes to sleep, doesn't really shut down and restart.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:02 PM

Vehicle: 84 VW Rabbit, 01 Audi A8L, 08 VW GTI

*off topic*

you can shut your iPad down if you want just hold the power/sleep button for a few seconds and it will ask if you want to. at least that's how you do it in the iPod and the iPhone and the iPad is just a oversized version of those.

Really prefer my android phone over my iPod for most everything... except playing music. I never use any app but music on my iPod Touch
Old 09-04-2012, 12:38 AM

Got it in and managed to create a hidden "button" that hits the power button when I press on the upper left corner of the tablet. Its the head of a screw placed in the right spot that pushes on the button. I can suspend, resume, and power on and off the unit. This will do until someone creates a custom kernal to power on when plugged in. That would complete my install! Well, except for......

So far, the Nexus 7 is great. One major flaw so far is charging. It has a fantastic hiss when the usb is plugged in and charging. Does this via the cig lighter adapter AS WELL as a clean power source from 110 AC from the house. So, its definitely an internal thing going on with the charging process. I need to do some research and see if this is a common problem or if maybe I have a slightly defective unit that I need to return within the 14 day return window for Office Depot.

So far though, Its bad ass! Glad I ditched the conventional in Dash DVD. I'll get some pics up and show you all how I got it in the Tib.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:05 AM
Administrator

Does it have anything to do with the Nexus needing 2.1A to charge?

If it won't charge from the wall, I'm sure it's a defect.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:31 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

My android phone produces a pretty serious hiss if I'm playing music while charging as well. I would def like to know if there is a fix for this