Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Need Help With Stereo Install

Old 04-14-2007, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was wondering if i could take out the old stereo and the cut the wires from that so i could use them as a wire harness for my new stereo i'm trying to put in. if there is any other way or if i can do that, please tell me

i went to pep boys, advance, napa, even bestbuy lol and none of them had wire harnesses for Hyundai. yes, i was pissed
Old 04-14-2007, 11:26 AM

Yes you can, but its a PITA, the harness is cheap, any bestbuy/fry's electronics near you? or any other electronics store should have it.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:42 AM

DONT HACK THAT HARNESS!

i hate when people butcher there shit like that.

you can find the harness pretty easily, its wierd youre having a hard time. if anything, go on ebay, there everywhere on there also. and usually cheaper then locally. but dont ruin that oem harness. if you ever remove your deck, your gonna have a hard time knowing which speaker wire is which, and even power wires, and down the line, someone is going to be hella lost, and could logically burn the car down.......... cause you didnt buy the harness on ebay.........

lmao.gif
Old 04-14-2007, 12:56 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I thought you were referring to your speakers and was confused. You're after the harness going into your head unit... Crutchfield.com has the best support for it, I'd highly recommend getting theirs.
If you spend more than $200 at Crutcfield, put in this code: pcgh2-290vk-v4ueg and get $20 off your order!
Old 04-14-2007, 04:55 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I say hack the harness, but do it right. Make sure everything electrical is covered and all connections are made to allow good conduction through the circuit. A wire is only as strong as it's weakest link. Improper crimping will cause wires to come out. Anyone who has installed a DVD player in their dash can tell you that sometimes there' just not enough room for a extra connection. Not only that, but extra long wires means extra caution when you are working in your dash.

If you're familiar with electronics, it really just comes down to putting in some work and doing it properly.

method 1(best): solder and shrink wrap all connections
method 2(better):solder and electrical tape all connections
method 3(great): get a crimper tool and crimp all connections
method 4(good): twist the connections and shrink wrap them <-- my favorite, it's easiest, effective and not that hard to correct mistakes.
method 5(wrong): twist the connections and electrical tape them
method 6(wrong): crimp the connections with plyers
method 7(suicide): solder all connections and leave them exposed or tape them in a manner that over time they will expose themselves.

Crimping wires: Stick the wire in the crimper and crimp right down the center of the split, it should look like a capitol B, then crimp the edges to bring the two loops in the B closer together. If you use plyers, the wire will slide out the first time you pull on it.

Soldering: tin the wires, heat the wire not the solder. join them together by touching them and melting the two together. Blow on the solder lightly to cool it quickly. You might want help from a friend or you will have the soldering iron in your mouth.

Electrical tape: it's only good for covering excellent connections. Bare wires with electrical tape is a no-no. The electrical tape can melt into the spaces in the wires and cause bad connection.

Shrink wrap: stick it on the wire, do any work you need to, then when you get done move the shrink wrap over the connection and heat it up with a heat gun or lighter. I love the stuff.

Radio Shack: Sucks on prices but everything listed above is there.

Oh yea... To see if you did your crimping right, you have to yank on it. I hate testing crimped connections because there's no way to test it to see if you did it right without pulling the crimp connector off and starting over if you failed the yank test. They're really the simplest thing though. Buy extras if you use them.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:03 AM

thanks guys, but later that day i went about an hour and 1/2 drive to a pep boys and got the harness. here is a LINK to the DIY. there is a pic of my stereo. sounds very, very nice veryhappy.gif
Old 04-15-2007, 12:27 PM

^
thank you!!!

cutting the harness is just ghetto and the cheap lazy way to go, and as i said, it ruins the car in the futurue for future owners. ive had to go to junkyards and cut factory harness's from junk cars to re-install into mine just cause some retard decided to be a jack ass.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:36 PM
DTN

^^ It's not ghetto. What's ghetto is installing a DVD player that already has 10 RCA inputs and 30 wires on the back, then trying to install a wiring harness.
It's not ghetto at all. It's how it's done. Cut wires, attach new connector. If you go from Hyundai -> universal -> alpine or whatever you're adding 4 extra plastic connectors behind there. That's a nighmare for troubleshooting.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:29 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

dtn: what kind of crimp connectors do you use/recommend? The butt-type? Do you have to also use heat-shrink to insulate them properly?
Old 07-29-2007, 06:51 AM
DTN

yep. Red or blue crimp butt connectors, yellow would be too big.

If you properly crimp a butt connector, you should not need heat shrink. it has it's own shielding. Some butt connectors even have heat shrink on the outside of them. If you damage the outside of a butt connector though, you can use electrical tape with no negative effects.