Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Need Help On How To Install Subs

Old 08-25-2008, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1000 watt amp, a capacitor, and a pioneer head unit already hooked up in my 98 Tiburon. Could any one tell me what kind of subs i should put in and how to do it?
Old 08-25-2008, 10:02 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

well you dont want to get any more then 500 watt per sub, because if you get anything more 500 your amp wont be able to run them.

once you get your subs i may be able to help you with w/e else you need, but no promises haha
Old 08-25-2008, 10:07 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Sub install diy: http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=206

By the way this is probably in the wrong section, should be posted in interior/ice. A ton of people are going to tell you this: you can find a lot of stuff by using the search button at the top and looking around in the diy section of the website.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:29 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Moved to ICE
Old 08-26-2008, 12:04 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

well i'm gonna assume you mean it gets 1000 max watts so in all reality its doing around 500RMS;

so you would want 2 subs that together produce about 500 watts RMS @ what ever ohms your amp will do the 500rms at. usually thats about 4ohms so your subs (how ever many or what ever size) need to do 500rms@4ohms to utilize all the power your amp puts out.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Efficiency is the name of the game with good quality sub installs. Find out if the amp is 1 ohm or 2 ohm stable, because that will make a difference in the type of sub you get.

If you want the most out of the amp, run it down to its lowest stable ohm setting. Be aware that this may be strenuous on the amp, and it may get hot! Depends A LOT on the quality of the amp.

Once you know how stable the amp is in ohm's, plan your sub build around that. You have to decide how many subs you want to run as well.

Learn these terms, they will really help you out:

Parallel - wiring speakers in parallel halves the resistence of the speaker. So, if you connect two 4 ohm speakers in parallel, the load you put on the amp is a 2 ohm load. 4 divided by 2 =2

Series - wiring speakers in series doubles the ohm output, or more or less, you add up the ohms of the speakers and that constitutes the load on your amp. so 2 4 ohm speakers wired in series is gonna give you an 8 ohm load on your amp.

the lower the ohms, the more power you get out of your amp. Thats why its important to see what the lowest ohm rating is on the amp. This will give you the most power out of it.

Here is a good read on this: Parallel vs. Series Wiring

Ok....

For example, if the amp is running 1000 watts RMS at a 1 ohm load, you could do 1 1000 watt RMS sub, dual 2 ohm coils at 500 watts per coil, (be sure to check the specs on the subs) running the coils in parallel, meaning you wire them positive to positive, negative to negative. This will give you a 1 ohm load from only 1 sub.

Or,.....

If you want to run two subs, they should both be rated at 500 watts RMS, 250 wats RMS per coil. The subs should be dual 4 ohm subs. Run each sub's coils in parallel. That will get each subwoofer down to a 2ohm speaker. Then run the subs in parallel to each other. That should get you down to 1 ohm.

Now, if the amp is only 2 ohm stable, you have to account for that in the same way. In the first example you would just go with 1 sub at a 1000 watts that has dual 4 ohm voice coils. Run the coils in parallel and your sub will now become 2 ohm. In the second example running two subs, you would want to go with two 500 watt subs that are dual 2 ohm voice coils. You would wire them in parallel to get each speaker at a 1ohm load, then wire the subs in series to bring it back up to a 2 ohm load for your amp.

Pick a good quality sub, especially if you just do one. I did an install on a friends dodge. He is running only one Alpine Type R 12, but it hits REALLY nice!

Now, the box is your call. Get a prefabbed box if you want, or build your own. Many folks will tell you to build out of 3/4 in. MDF, and, frankly they are correct. BUT, big but here. I have built most of my systems with 1/2 in. MDF to save on weight. I have even tried 3/8 in with good results. Its your call here. most people building a system like that want the most sound they can get. I am someone who wants the best of both worlds. I wanted great sound AND save as much as I could on weight. A fiberglass box is also an option, but you can do your own research on that. If you do decide to go with MDF smaller than 3/4 in, be prepared to do a lot of predrilling, use extra screws and lots of liquid nails to up the strength of the box.

The rest, your on your own. Hope this gives you some food for thought.