Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

My Enclosure

Old 02-10-2005, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Enclosure

ok..Im sure most of you guys have seen what Ive done with my enclosure..in the pics I posted...I took 3 separate 12"sub boxes...built a frame from wood and screwed them all together...took out the back seats....layed pillow filler in as much area as I could find...built a frame to mount the amp...added pillow filler to 2 plastic bags for shape...took a relatively thick blanket...measured it and cut the holes...layed it over the speakers and amp...then folded it over and stapled it down...I was told by a friend of my dads that is a mechanic that this way is the way ppl have been doing it around here...so I gave it a try....but what I need to know is what am I supposed to do now? Should I scrap the whole thing...or can I salvage what Ive done and actually make something out of it...I want to lay fiberglass and all...sand it down...primer it...and paint it to match the car...please let me know what I should do
Old 02-10-2005, 09:09 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

From what I can tell by the stage your at. Your next step would be to start laying a coat of glass resin, then laying your layers of fiberglass to build up the thickness. After Bondo and lots of sanding.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:28 AM

this site will give you a small idea of what needs to be done. its a really good site in my opinion
Old 02-11-2005, 07:12 AM

ok, I was wondering how you knew how much space each of the subs had.. cool idea using a premade box and then screwing them together before 'glassing. Takes a lot of the guess work out.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:30 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

QUOTE (bryce804)
this site will give you a small idea of what needs to be done. its a really good site in my opinion

wow, that site is really cool!!! makes me wanna start doing stereo stuff again. laugh.gif:
Old 02-11-2005, 06:43 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

Someone should turn that into an Attention Whore pic!!! LOL

Anyway, that site is awesome. I found it through the last EC Customs thread. Tons of good info on how to glass pretty much anything.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:18 PM

what did you mean by asking me how I knew how much space each of the subs had...I dont understand
Old 02-11-2005, 11:28 PM

for a sub enclosure to work and sound proper. you need to have the correct volume inside. he was asking how you knew that.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:40 PM

volume you mean as in how much space and stuff right?I took out the back seats for 2 reasons...1.the subs...and 2.I was sick of ppl tryin to hitch rides...so I thought about it....and mounted the 3 boxes together...although on the 3rd box in order to make it fit..I had to modify the bottom and back of it...but its kinda like 3 small boxes in a giant pillow....I layed the blanket over and filled all the extra space w.filler to absorb the sound and vibrations...once again..I attempted this not really knowing that much...just wanting a cool different look w.out sacrificing sound...and luckily I got it..lol...when the subs are kicking I cant see out of my mirrors at all...lol...if I didnt answer your question..I appologize...
Old 02-12-2005, 11:02 AM

Don't confuse outside volume,or space, with internal volume.The inside of the enclosure(s) need to have a particular amount of volume in order for the subs to properly reproduce bass.If you are trying to use pre-made boxes, chances are at least kinda good that they have the proper internal volume.You should check with the sub manufacturer and see what they recommend,then see if the enclosures comply.

Also, sealed enclosures are more forgiving if the internal volume is not exact.Portd or bandpass on the other hand, are mucm more sensitive to volume and port design.