Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Loudness and some more newb ???'s

Old 04-14-2003, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loudness and some more newb ???'s

I got a new deck today.....I got the Sony CDX-MP70....I LOVE IT.

Anyway, I got some questions for the audio experts.
First, my setup is as follows:
Deck: CDX-MP70
Alpine S10 sub (10 inch)
Alpine MRV-100M amp
Sony CDX-757 10 disc changer
Front speakers: Sony 6 3/4 3 way
Rear speakers: Sony 6 x 9 3 way

Loudness.....do I leave this on of off? In the past I have always had it on, but I was curious to see what you guys do.

Also, I seem to be having a but of trouble getting mids. Currently I think it sounds like I am getting highs and lows and not much in between the two. Is it my equipment?
The deck comes with a 7 band EQ, and ideas on what it should be set at?
It has a high pass filter, the only adjustments it has 78 and 125 Hz and a low pass filter that can either be 125 Hz or 78Hz, and thats it....no other crossover adjustments. Currently I leave the LPF off and let the built in LPF on the amp do it's job.
What is ideal for the HPF?

Thanks for any help in advance!!
Old 04-18-2003, 07:24 AM

Bueller........Anyone??
Old 04-18-2003, 09:37 AM

F the loudness. I just put my 'xplod' profile on most of the time. Seems to work well. I get good mid range sound. I have the mp70 too. I love that thing.
Old 04-18-2003, 10:14 AM

loudness = boosted treble & bass...
to get mids: get 4" dash speakers...
Old 04-18-2003, 04:56 PM

So, I guess to sum it all up.....is loudness good or bad??

Without it, I lose bass, but I am only half way at the gain on the amp. I am assuming that I can crank that up to compensate....haven't tried it yet though. Would I be correct in assuming this?
Old 04-20-2003, 12:30 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Accent

AllBlackTibby:
So, I guess to sum it all up.....is loudness good or bad??

Without it, I lose bass, but I am only half way at the gain on the amp. I am assuming that I can crank that up to compensate....haven't tried it yet though. Would I be correct in assuming this?
Don't just crank up the gains to compensate for low volumes. The gain isn't to be used as a volume knob (at least on 99% of car audio amps out today). Rather, it's used to match the output voltage of the head unit to the amp. If you have a low voltage deck of say 2 volts and under, you'll want to turn the gains up a bit. High voltage decks of say 4 volts and up will allow you to keep the gains down.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:42 AM

yes, that's correct. i have a loudness button on my home stereo right here beside me, and i always have it on. it hasn't hurt anything, and it makes it sound a lot better...so i'd keep the gains in the right place, and keep the loudness on...
Old 04-24-2003, 11:24 AM

loudness is BAD only use it for low volume. i used to have the loudness on all the time on my kenwoodhome system....fried my tweeters that way. and i also have a sony deck and used to have the loudness on all the tiem it distorts the music and is basically liquid crack for the speakers.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:32 AM

Loudness makes your cd player adventually distort just get an eclipse CD player and a little more powerfull amp. your sub is fine and also get some stinger tripple coated RCA cables you will notice a big Diffy...