Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Legality of race seats and harnesses

Old 04-29-2013, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Tiburon
Default Legality of race seats and harnesses

Can you get a ticket for having race seats and harnesses in your car? I know the ones that professional drivers use are the best of the best and cost thousands of dollars. But most street driven cars have seats and harnesses that are only a few hundred dollars. So if a cop see's you with them in your car, could they potentially pull you over and ticket you for having something thats not DOT legal (I assume most seats and harnesses are not approved by DOT's)
Old 04-29-2013, 06:17 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

A lot of that depends on local laws and how much the cops give a sh*t (most don't.) In my state seats are unregulated but harnesses are unless DOT approved. I got around this a few years ago by purchasing a set of Porsche GT3 factory race harness which are DOT approved. It was also an option on the 996s back then (about ten years ago at this point) and they cost $300 from the parts window. Today I can bet you they'll be 3 or 4 times that price being a GT2 option.

The key is making sure you have a set that have the DOT approval and proof on the harness. I've had to prove it a few times, but as I said before, most don't care. Just keep the stock seat belt installed and use it on the road, its the easiest route

edit

Also found this:

http://www.schrothracing.com/tuning/rallye/rallye-4

Schroth is the manufacturer that produces harnesses for Porsche, and it turns out they offer at least one model that is DOT approved and affordable.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:32 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

The problem is, that most harnesses that the po-po see are eBay specials that are bolted to the floor right behind the seat, and then used exclusively instead of the seatbelt. I would not bother with them on a street car, especially if you have stock seats.