Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Led's In The Gauge Cluster

Old 03-22-2009, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Alright, I have been searching, and found that replacing the bulbs in the instrument cluster with just regular blue bulbs, in most peoples opinions for the most part say they look dim, and kind of inconsistent. I have seen pictures, and judging by pictures, decided that they look better then stock, and would work for what I am looking for.

I have seen stock gauges with the blue bulbs(actually LED is what I am referring to) in two ways:

1. with parts of the gauges that were red with the stock, they turn purplish looking when you go to the blue bulbs

2. some of them have the red looking just like it should, red.

What is it you do to keep the red, well, ummmm, red. It seems like I remember seeing something about removing a filter, the other I thought involved some kind of gel, some people I have seen put red LED's in there to keep the red, but I don't see how your going to throw a red LED in the midst of a cluster of blue LED's.

For one, I don't know nothing about LED's, I don't really want to install LED"s like I seen in one of DTN's DIY's, for a DIY can't even help me along with something like that.

That is another thing, the heater controls, what bulbs do they take? I know the ones in the gauge cluster are 4 bulbs of type 194/168 and 2 bulbs of type 74.

And what kind of bulbs go in the dimmer switch, the Cruise control light, and the two butons below the heater controls(the A/C, and the one to the left of it)

Any help appreciated.....Any pics of the gauges done a certain way mentioned would be appreciated.

Sorry, my mind is racked, does a Sticky list of all the bulbs used in the gauge cluster, heater controls, shift indicator, floorboard lighting, anywhere you can put a damn light sound within reason?
Old 03-22-2009, 10:21 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

If you install blue under red it won't shine through. You've got to install red LEDs under the red and blue under the blue. Gauges won't be even if you install LED replacement bulbs and they will be very dim if you put a sheet of colored plastic in front of the gauges. That DIY is the easiest, best way.