Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Keyless Entry

Old 04-02-2008, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I've been halfway considering getting a keyless entry system for my car, but was curious how it would work and what I would need. I know the passenger side has an automatic unlock (it always locks/unlocks when the driver side does), but is it the same for the driver's side? Basically, would I need to get a solenoid to open the driver's door or is it already set up for that? If I did need one with the solenoid, any suggestions for one? I've looked around a lot, and besides trying to find just keyless entry (no alarm, auto start, etc, just a keyfob and unlocking system) and then finding exactly what's needed isn't easy. I'm also curious how hooking up the solenoid to our door lock would work too...
Any info is appreciated!
Old 04-02-2008, 10:45 PM

go to anywhere like best buy or install shops that do car audio and starter/alarms and buy whats called a "door lock actuator" ONLY GET ONE. i will take my door apart here by the weekend and take pictures of how mine is installed and hopefully it will help you on installing it. and just get a keyless entry module from anywhere. if u cant get one i can ship one to you for relatively cheap
Old 04-02-2008, 10:48 PM

So I do need an actuator for the driver's side? Uber cheap like this one?
Reason I'm interested in this is because they really are so cheap! Had no clue it was that little, could probably do it on my own for
Old 04-02-2008, 11:15 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

I have a crimestopper actuator from RadioShack (ordered online). It's still working fine after about a year. Looks just like the ebay one. Came with some stuff which should be enough for installation.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:43 AM

yeha they are cheap... i think we sell them for 20 bucks retail...
Old 04-03-2008, 10:42 AM

Ok, looking at getting the following (all from commando systems):
Keyless entry system
Door lock actuator
Trunk release kit
Trunk release relay
Would this work?
The only thing I'm unsure about is the trunk release solenoid, and if that would be too big to fit back there. It doesn't give the rating of it, but I thought it was 15lb (read that we only need 10lb or so) which may be too big... If so, I can probably just return it and find a smaller one somewhere else.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:34 PM

you wont have room for the trunk release selenoid in the back where i think you are thinking. where you can put it is in the drivers side quarter panel. theres tons of room there
Old 04-03-2008, 09:44 PM

There was a DIY where someone used a 15lb solenoid here, and it didn't quite fit, but with 'modification' it worked. I'm guessing this is a 15lb, but not sure... If it is, how would you hook it up on the quarter panel? I though it's just the wrapped cable going through there, and no place to really hook it on. Maybe if you got a longer cable on the solenoid you could put if farther away?
Old 04-03-2008, 09:47 PM

you can splice into the cable in there. theres tons of room to have the selenoid in there
Old 04-03-2008, 09:55 PM

I've spliced into all kinds of electrical wires, but never into a cable like this... How do you get it to securely attach to the cable? Seems like it may just flex the cable instead of pull it or something else?