Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Jensen Lcd Touch Screen Review

Old 01-07-2008, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Jensen VM9412 7" Lcd touch screen head unit. Before I put the Jensen in I had a sony explode, wiring harness, I just spliced into that and wired the Jensen to the other aftermarket harness, so I am pretty sure just about any harness will work for the Jensen.

Pros:
When the screen comes up, it sits very close to the center knobs in the tib, but does not touch. It has foward and sideways tilt just incase you think it may be too close to the center knobs. It is 160 watts peak ( 40W x 4 ) Touch screen, plays dvds, ipod ready, comes with divx, and xvid, plays mp3s wma and is SAT radio ready also. This version does have an easter egg, that allows you to play dvds while driving, yet I do not know it. One of my friends in the airforce did it for me while he was on leave. It does not come with the J-link cable for the ipod so you would have to buy that seperatly. It also comes with a remote and a wireless medialink. It has a built in surround sound option for the dvds which sounds kinda cool if you listen to audio through it lol. It also has a reverse camera feature which is cool. If you buy a camera with a rca hookup I believe, you wire it into the headunit, when you put the car into reverse the input mode switches to camera mode and shows you what is behind you, then when you take it out of reverse the input mode goes back to what ever you were doing before.

Cons: I have heard not personally experienced it but the Jensens screen has been said to go out if you leave the screen out and exposed the sun for long periods of time. Only problem I have had with the headunit at all is, since I did not shave any of the plastic around the headunit, ONE time I had to manually move the horizontal tilt on the left side to straighten the headunit so it would hide the actual screen part. Other than that no other problems.

If you have any questions post away! ( Redz you said you were waiting for a review there ya go )
Old 01-07-2008, 10:24 AM

Nice write up, I was thinking about buying one of these for my neon.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:27 AM

Ya for what you gets its worth it and, it didnt even cost that much which was nice.
edit: and here is a link to the universal reverse camera thing I was talking about
http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=PRNDBC1#tabs

or the cheaper smaller one
http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=PLPLCM20
Old 01-07-2008, 12:18 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Turbulence

I have the VM9311-TS. Same 7" flip-up screen. Multiple inputs if you want to use it as a computer monitor or hook up a video game console. However, if you use it as a computer screen, you can't utilize the touchscreen with the computer. At least, if you can, I don't know about it. Mine does not support Divx or Xvid, only DVD video and MPEG-4.

This one DOES hit the climate control knobs if you mount it flush with the center console. I had to position the deck to that it sticks out from the stereo surround a little bit, so that when it can be tilted up to an easily viewed angle. Even then, it's still touching the knobs.

The model I have -does- come with the ipod J-Link cable, as well as some sort of media center box (off the top of my head, it has S-Video input, a couple of RCA inputs and the J-Link cable input), which you can mount somewhere and have several inputs/outputs available for quick access without pulling the dash apart. I just stuck it in the glovebox with an RCA cable tucked underneath it. I've never actually used it for anything though.

I've also had a lot of trouble with playing MP3s. If I burn MP3s onto a DVD, the disc will either not play at all, or it will sound distorted and skip frequently. If I burn MP3s to a CD, it will play, but once every 3-4 minutes there will be a loud static pop for 1-2 seconds. Yes, I tried burning at slow speeds, different brands of discs, etc. It's a problem with the player. It's probably an isolated case with my deck and not a widespread problem, but it was never a big enough issue for me to worry about taking it back or anything.

The 9311 can also be "easter egg'd" to let you watch movies while driving.

To sum: This model lacks some functions that I want. Primarily divx/xvid playback. The back of the screen hits the climate knobs. The accessory input box is nice - and handy - but it's very unsightly. I plan to keep this deck installed until my Carputer is ready to take it's place, at which point the VM9311 will be put in my truck. With a larger cab and more room for a flipscreen, it will fit better there. Overall, it's a good deck for the price.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Thanks.

Any of them have bluetooth?
Old 01-07-2008, 01:54 PM

i have the exact one in my winter beater.

i like it, got it for pretty cheap and couldnt turn it down.

only complaints are going from my high end pioneer, the sound quality is lacking. it handles some sun glare, but not even close to as well as my friend flip out alpine does. and its really slow to respond when its really cold.

Ooo, and the big one... (it was in the single digits the past couple weeks till lately) but when it was cold, and id get in the car and start it, for some reason, when i turned the sound up, it would go down instead??? then when i turned it down, it stayed down... i have to use my remote to turn it back up untill its a little warm. id say the probably the most annoying thing. but i paid a friends $150 for it, so im not gonna complain. i think i got a sweet ass deal.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:32 PM

Redz to answer your question I dont think any of them have the bluetooth compadability. But I will look into my version again just to make sure, as mine is the newest one available. Also I use Acoustica to burn mp3 cds and have never had a problem. No skipping or anything of the sort. Another thing I liked was my version has 6 pre amp outputs.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:21 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited

i bought the VM9412 for my truck back in early december. i'm still finding my way around the system, but i'm very pleased with the unit. the sun glare is kind of annoying, but it only happens when the sun hits it just right and it's only for a short time at that. mine also came with the external media connect box and i got my ipod cable for free (tossed in with the deal). i haven't tried to watch any dvd's on it yet, so i can't comment as to the quality there. the audio also sounds very nice. my dodge truck came with the infinity audio package and it still sounds outstanding.

a couple of the things that i dislike about the unit is that when i'm using my ipod there is considerable lag when scrolling through the menus/playlists. another thing i don't like is that i lost some reception on the radio side. other than that, i am quite satisfied with my purchase.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:01 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

My jensen VM9021TS Touch Screen has that same Jensen easter egg where you can drive while playing DVDs. I activated it.

Pros: SD cards, Ipod, CD+/-/R/RW, AM/FM, XM, MP3, DVD+/-/R/RW, MP3, WMA SVCD VCD MPEG1/2/4/ AVI and JPG. It has a dual zone monitor which means you can watch 2 different things on 2 different TVs with 2 different remote controls. It has backup camera support and I've installed a backup camera. It has additional video in/outs for the primary monitor. The screen tilts and you can slide in a disk or SD card behind it.

Cons: It is slow and it cannot fast forward or rewind in MP3 mode.