Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Interior Techniques (help)

Old 05-10-2006, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. Plan is to re-do the interior black and lime green. Everything that is vinyl will go back to black somehow. Im debating if I want to spend the rest of my life peeling it off or just go over it. I liked having the blue accents so I may incorporate that somewhere subtley. Either way..after I sand the plastic pieces out the a**, is there some certain technique I should use when painting once again? I'm going to primer it and sand it this time until its nice and smooth. I read previously about heating the cans of paint in hot water which increases the pressure inside the can. Does that seriously work? Lend me your knowledge great knowing ones.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:26 AM

Id take all the parts and sand them all down. then just put on layers of primer, color, then clear. but with all the time/money you might be spendin on paint you might want to consider callin junkyards for stock parts and startin there? that way you wont have to spend hours peelin off paint to get OEM black or buy paint to make it black
Old 05-10-2006, 11:58 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

peel as much off as you can. sanding regular paint and not primer will gum up the sandpaper so fast its not funny.

that said, take out all peices you want to paint. thats the most important. then with them out of the way, clean up all the overspray all over your interior. razorblades to the windshield PLEASE!

sand the peices with with a rough grit. if you want to leave the oem textured finish, but just want it a different color, use 320 grit. if you want to get rid of the textured look and have it flat, go with something low, like 100 grit. sand the surface until you get it to your desired finish. do not assume primer will help flatten it out. primer should be only for extremely minor surface imperfections that are barely visible before paint, but that will show up big after paint.

use some paint prep to properly clean the surface. you can find a bunch at walmart.

after the ssanding is done, go to town with some sandable primer. use VERY light coats with primer, cant stress that enough. give it a bunch of coats, you will be sanding more, but the finish will be better in the end. i wouldnt do any less than 6 coats.

now its time for wetsanding. get some 600 grit wet/dry automotive sandpaper and a bucket of water. dip the sandpaper in there and then start sanding, re-diupping the sandpaper every so often to keep it clean and from getting clogged up. wetsand until the surface is as smooth as glass. it should literally look like glass when wet.

use more paint prep to clean the surface, with some lint free towels(the blue auto type work well).

begin to paint. hold the can about 8 inches away from the surface, and give it coats that just barely cover the previous coat. 4 coats should be enough. be very patient and dont try to put all the paint on at once.

some people now will use a super fine grit sandpaper to smooth it out, but i dont and it comes out like glass. so i would recommend going straight to clear coat. put the first layer on to just make it tacky, just as the can should say. the next layers should be heavier. shoot it until you are satisfied.

be sure to keep up with the directions on the back of the cans as well. this guide should only be a supplement to them. i would go with the walmart auto paint, duplicolor i think. ive hasd nothing but good results with it. and heating the cans works wonders. run them under hot water for a couple minutes and the spray will be super atomized, almost as good as an acutal air spray gun.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:10 PM

what vinyl are you talking about? the door panels? what other parts come with vinyl on them stock?

I redid the entire top half of the interior in white vinyl. its not hard. if you plan on stretching vinyl just say so and ill post how to do it easily.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:13 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

With how much you've messed up the interior, seriously, I'd just buy new parts and start over. If not, get them bead blasted and get all that shit off, then sand smooth.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:15 PM

So youre saying wet sand everything I want to paint? As in if I decide to paint the vinyl...sand that too?? Wouldnt it rip? The vinyl in the doors, and the upper dash. Isnt that vinyl too??I cant remember its been soo long since Ive even seen any of it unpainted. And another thing is that Id have to use that engine enamel green that I used previously only because we matched the exterior paint to it and Id hate to have two different color greens.

Edit: Bead Blasted???
Old 05-10-2006, 12:16 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

oh that vinyl. thats going to be tough to paint, yeah, dont sand that.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:38 PM

Yeah thats what Im saying. If I decide to paint the vinyl how do I do that?? Primer it and sand the primer? I might just peel off the paint from the vinyl and leave it OEM black, but like I said thats gonna be a b*tch to get off. So I might just end up painting over it how it is, at least for the vinyl part. The plastic I can sand the hell out of and make look nice.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:32 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

1. buy some gasoline
2. pour it on the inside of the car
3. light a match
Old 05-10-2006, 01:45 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^^ STFU. This guy is asking for help. If you don't have anything worthwhile or at least witty to contribute, don't say anything at all.

You need to sand down all hard surfaces before painting. There is vinyl paint for use on vinyl. Buy that stuff.