Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Interior Painting question....

Old 08-01-2001, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S
Default Interior Painting question....

I'm conteplating painting my interior. I was thinking of re-painting the stock dash areas....Black...but I wanted Glossy Black!

Could I get away with just Clear Coating the stock dash? Or would I be better off laying down a couple of coats of Gloss black before clear coating?

Lastly...last time I painted sumthin'...I got dust, and crap in my paintjob. It came out looking like black primer almost...it had a "texture" to it from all the dust and stuff in the paint and clear coat. I was painting outdoors...the only place I have available to me. What can I do to prevent this in the future? The obvious is to not paint outside...but I cannot paint in my garage, as I share a 4 car garage with 2 other cars (I get 2, they get 2).
Old 08-01-2001, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Random,

I've written some basics for DIY painting, you can check 'em out here.

I'd suggest a real large cardboard box, it will keep the wind effect down. If not a box, then perhaps one, two or three pieces of cardboard to block the wind.

I'd also suggest you go the "whole nine yards", that is primer, paint and clear.

Just my opinion, but hey that's what you were askin for, right?

Old 08-01-2001, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I little bit of wet sanding probably would have solved your problem Random, I don't know if you did wet sand or not but it sounds like not.

let me know how you paint job goes(with pics), cause I was think about doing some gloss black in my Tib as well.

Good luck.
Old 08-02-2001, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Hey man..what's up.....I've been painting and airbrushing since I about 13. If you're really really concerned about getting dust and other debris, you can actually go to a collision or paint shop and rent out one of their paint booths for awhile. It's not much money to do it, and usually places are really cool about doing that. I would take all the parts off first, and then take them to the place and paint. That way you can paint them there, maybe leave the parts there over night to dry, and then pick them up the next day. It should run ya maybe 40-50 bux depending on the shop. Or then again, if you know people that work there, they might not even care and let ya use free of charge. But if you DO NOT use a professional paint booth, there is no 100% gurantee that you WON'T get any debris in your paint. Just food for thought.

Now..for the painting part. You can use just gloss clear over your factory parts now, but it won't be as glossy as actually painting it with colored paint. I would take all the parts off, clean them very very well with rubbing alcohol, or wax remover. If you don't have any of that laying around, regular good ol dish soap will work just as well. I wouldn't just clean it once. I would make sure you do it at least twice. Can never be too careful, and the last thing you want are fish eyes in your paint from having dirt or oil on your paintable parts.

For a true professional look, make sure you use a good sandable primer and paint. Primer in a can is okay as long as you use automotive primer, and not just regular plastic primer or whatever. (NOTE: Not saying this stuff is bad, but by using real automotive spray paint, you'll get better results) Once you prime the parts a couple of times, let is dry and sand it with a good wet sand sandpaper. Once you're done doing that, either take an air gun, or a hair dryer worls well too. Blow off the part as good as possible to make sure there are no fine particles or debris on the parts.

As far as painting goes...you get what you pay for. You can use regular Wal-Mart special paint, but again, you're better off using actual automotive spray paint from an auto store, OR even better..go to a place that supplies automotive paint for professional painting. You can get that paint in an aerosol can and have a better look once finished. Once you get your paint, apply a few coats, wet sand, let it dry, blow off any debris or dirt, and then get ready for your clear. Basically do the same thing as before, but apply more coats of clear than paint or primer so it lasts a good length of time. Let it all dry over night. Once you're all done, and come back the next day, take a buffer, or a good wax cloth and aply a generous coat of "CLEANER Wax/polish" and then a good coat of regular Carnauba Wax. Now install, and sit back with your sunglasses on, enjoying your new found interior!

[ August 02, 2001: Message edited by: 2000Lo&ShowTibby ]
Old 08-02-2001, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

BTW...I tried to have a auto body shop paint them for me, but nobody would do it. I went out to probably 8-9 different shops, they all said no, not for any price. I had all the trim parts removed and everything!

Autobody business in So CAL is so good they can turn down business. I had 5 shops turn me down to get my spoiler painted! They said it was too small of a job, come back in 2-3 weeks, they might have less work and would do it then. I even asked If I could leave the spoiler and paint codes with a shop and they could do it when they had time...they refused.

Low&show...you gotta move back to cali and open up your own shop man. You'd make a killing!