Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Interior Painting Problem

Old 03-08-2005, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Painting Problem

after 1 full day of taking my time painting, sanding, painting, sanding painting... the paint has finally dried. I did everything correctly. I sanded, washed in hot soap, put on a small coat, sanded, small coat, sanded, small coat, sanded, small coat, sanded, small coat, sanded, clear coat.... left it to dry overnight... then wake up to find that if freakin bubbled. >:|

im going to sand it down again, but how do you prevent this?
Old 03-08-2005, 06:34 AM

QUOTE (MasterJ51503)
after 1 full day of taking my time painting, sanding, painting, sanding painting... the paint has finally dried. I did everything correctly. I sanded, washed in hot soap, put on a small coat, sanded, small coat, sanded, small coat, sanded, small coat, sanded, small coat, sanded, clear coat.... left it to dry overnight... then wake up to find that if freakin bubbled. >:|

im going to sand it down again, but how do you prevent this?

what was the tempurature like? a lot of different things can do that

most of the time... it's temperature related (too cold), too much paint (coats are too thick), or the clear was put on too fast.

or, if you're using the wrong paint... it might not be adhesive enough.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:37 AM

The clear reacted with your base.

You should of tested out the base and the clear again.
It doesn't matter if they're the same brand, I've seen it happen.

I betcha if you tested out the base and clear on another piece of plastic ( a test piece) it would do the same thing
Use a different clear
Old 03-08-2005, 08:37 AM

Vehicle: 2015 Subaru WRX

I dont mean to steal a thread here but...

Why is it the paint seems to not want to stick to a 'pin-point' location? There were little spots all over where I painted... I sanded it down and redid it, to no avail, they came back... I got a bit frustrated and painted over the spots (lol) and it still would not cover.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:52 AM

QUOTE (KayJai)
The clear reacted with your base.

You should of tested out the base and the clear again.
It doesn't matter if they're the same brand, I've seen it happen.

I betcha if you tested out the base and clear on another piece of plastic ( a test piece) it would do the same thing
Use a different clear

I agree.

There are 2 types of paint you will commonly come in contact with: Laquer and Enamel. I don't remember off hand, but one of these can not be applied on top of the other,or it will bubble up due to the one displacing the other.The best thing to do is to make sure that your clear coat/top coat is the same as the base.And the primer and base should also be the same.If you do it that way, you won't have a problem.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:00 PM

Vehicle: FX Coupe

QUOTE (Hobgoblin)
I dont mean to steal a thread here but...

Why is it the paint seems to not want to stick to a 'pin-point' location? There were little spots all over where I painted... I sanded it down and redid it, to no avail, they came back... I got a bit frustrated and painted over the spots (lol) and it still would not cover.

To over come this..
i know exactly what you mean.. get a pin spray a bit of paint into the cap of the spray can dip the pin in to the paint and spot it on to the place where it keeps comin up, ie build it up let dry sand and then recoat.

its cause the can was not shaken properly to begin with or you got a spot of solvent which is in the can to mix with the paint.

it stays there cause the solvent is still there and allows the paint to spread pushing it away causing a "little well".... well thats my theory anyway..
Old 03-08-2005, 12:12 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Olds Cutlass

the way i did mine was...
1. Take everything apart
2. Rub down with thinner
3. Take scotchbrite pad and rough all the surface area.
4. Do a light layer.
5. Sand rough / unpainted spots.
6. Spray another coat.
7. And just put on coats as needed...

turned out pretty nice... there were a few bad spots, only around edges where the paint did not settle.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:09 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

did you get all the soap off?
Old 03-08-2005, 08:53 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Olds Cutlass

yeah... why would u wash in the first place? .... Thinner + Scotchbright pad = my best friend laugh.gif
Old 03-08-2005, 08:56 PM

You should wash and throughly dry the pieces before painting.It'll help the paint to adhere better, plus you want to get rid of dust,etc.I usually use a product from SEM called SEM soap, as well as SEM plastic prep.