Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Interior Painting

Old 04-03-2003, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: FX Coupe
Default Interior Painting

Hi All..

I've done a search and all but nothing.

My ? is:
I want to paint the rear panels inside my car back seat area along with the roof and door sills etc

Should i use the same paint as most have done their dash with?? what paints should i use?

The dash around the gauge cluster was easy because it was plastic but the other panels are different.

Please help especially the ones who have done it to their car (1st gen)

Thanks
Old 04-03-2003, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

those other panels are plastic as well, they are just "textured".

You've got 4 options.
#1. Sand the hell out of them to remove the texture.
#2. Use bondo or similar body filler on them to fill in the texture
#3. Use 8-20 coats of paint to cover the texture
#4. Screw the texture and just paint over it.

Which method you do is up to you. Those parts can be painted just like any other part of the car. They just need to be prepared just like the dash. Light sanding. washing, special plastic primer, then paint, then clear coat.

I did my door sill covers and the door jam covers, and just painted over the texture. It's still there, and barely visable, and that was 5 coats of paint, and 3 coats of clear. Sticks just fine, looks darn good. You can only see the texture if you catch the shine off the clear coat at the right angle to a light source...so I wouldn't loose too much sleep over the textured part.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:44 PM

Actually, Bondo will not stick to plastic very easily.Especially plastic that has alot of flex to it.

It is a good idea to first prepare the plastic for paint.These are the products I use for prep:

(1)Bull Dog Abrasive Bumper Cleaner
(2)Silcone Wash
(3)Bull Dog Adhesion Promoter

Then use most any rattle can spray paint.I usually don't bother using primer.I've had mostly bad luck with the usual types of rattle can primers.

The products I listed above can be bought at an auto body supply store.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

MADTIB:
Bondo will not stick to plastic very easily.Especially plastic that has alot of flex to it.
I've used it to fill in gouges/scraches in plastic parts and also to remove the texture. You've got to sand it a tad, but I've had no problems. The bondo goes on in a VERY thin layer, just enough to fill in the texture, so it's really only in the "valleys" of the plastic. The primer and paint seems to help keep it all together. Keep in mind, these are interior parts, they are not subject to much if any flexing stress/vibration. I wouldn't want to try it on an exterior plastic part.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:44 AM

Vehicle: FX Coupe

Thanks guys... wink

Will get back to you if any probs...

Cheers
Old 04-06-2003, 11:11 AM

Vehicle: 2002 accent

I had my entire interior painted, like the other guys said, I just lightly sanded everything and then painted over the texture. I used a product called flexiadd on the soft material (dash)It works great you can push your thumb into the painted dash and trims as hard as you can and it doesnt crack.

Pictures are here www.xtreemcoupe.homestead.com