Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Interior Paint Problem

Old 08-16-2001, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Paint Problem

Ok,well I did it. I spent a whole day, I mean whole day, painting the interior of my Tib. So when the time came to put on my clear coat on... this is when the tragedy happened. I bought an enamel spray paint from an auto shop that already has the chrome look to it to paint my car. It's real shiny and metallic and it came out of the can real thick, even, and nice. Everything was great. The color didn't even look like it needed a clear coat but I wanted to put one on to protect the paint. When I sprayed the clear coat on the paint, it turned my beautiful chrome into a lifeless ugly dull gray. It just seemed to eat the color right out. So, thinking maybe it was the clear coat, I went and bought a different kind, it did the same thing. It has to be my chrome paint because my boyfriend, who was painting his Tib interior at the same time, used the clear coat and it worked just fine. However, he used a regular red color. So what I am wondering is, is there anything else I can do to protect my chrome color? Because without anything on top of the paint, it has been scratching a lot easier and I know it will wear out faster. I spent all that time on it and I hate to see the job ruined. Your help is really appreciated.

Kimberly

[ August 16, 2001: Message edited by: TibRacer ]
Old 08-16-2001, 03:18 AM

I had the same problem with painting my hot plate, I eventually had to just scrap the chrome look and go with something totally different. I would like to hear anyones opinions on this also.
Old 08-16-2001, 04:07 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Here's the thing about Chrome paint. When you spray it, it looks okay until it starts to dry a little. It really doesn't come out like a chrome mirror that some people tend to think. And when you use any kind of top coat (clear) on it, it will dull the chrome look even more. There's nothing really you can use to not make it discolor. There are some companies out there that sell paint that does have that chrome look to it, but again, it's not anything like you think it'll turn out to be.

You can clear coat on actual colored paints (like you said your boyfriend did) but with chrome, clear coats don't work. You're best solutions are to either to go somewhere and have a place chrome plate parts for you, or change over to a colored paint.

Good luck.........
Old 08-16-2001, 05:34 AM

I'm thinking about chrome dipping my hot plate like Bat Lord's, but I'm still wondering if the chrome will make the hot plate retain more heat inturn keeping the engine bay hotter. any comments?
Old 08-16-2001, 01:18 PM

Yeah like Show said that's the way chrome paint is, it is very misleading. The only way is to dip it. As far as the heat goes it might increase it by like 2 degrees but nothing to worry about. The only thing that might be noticeable is it might be heaveir depending on who does it and how much they dip it.
Old 08-16-2001, 01:21 PM

If you want to try it. Take some 1200 grit wet sandpaper and wet sand it and then buff it it may save your paint job and still have some protetive layer to it.
Old 08-16-2001, 02:58 PM

Just last saturday I chromed the retainer ring around my 5-speed shifter. All of the stuff was made by Plasti-Kote.

First I used the sandable primer. When it dried I sanded it with 400 grit to a very smooth finish. Then I applied the chrome paint...out of all the colors I've sprayed with this one will show dust and dirt more than any other. Make sure you clean the surface completely.. I had to wait for it dry the first time and resand because of some bad dirt spots. Then I painted all the "rivets" on the ring black and applied the clear coat.

I freaked out the first time I used the clear coat because I sprayed it kinda heavy and the chrome turned white. After about an hour the white faded away and turned back into chrome...although it's more of a very shiny silver. Still brighter than the stock ring was. I'll try to post some pics.
Old 08-16-2001, 10:23 PM

That sounds like it would look pretty sweet so post em when you get em.
Old 08-16-2001, 11:32 PM

awright..i'll bust out the digi cam today after work. yea-yeuh! it's Friday!
Old 08-17-2001, 12:12 AM

Vehicle: Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart GSR

I used plasti-kote chrome on my needle blbs and it looked good till I clear-coated and it when silver. However this has created a metallic flake effect, coz depending on where the sun is the blobs look lots of different shades of silver, which is kinda cool really.

Sorry its a bit fuzzy -