Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Interior Lighting Installation Help

Old 12-27-2007, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To start off I bought a couple set's of Cold Cathode's from oznium on the 12th and they finally came in today but my mom is out with the car so I can't attempt anything but I don't think i'm fully prepared anyways. This might mean nothing to you guy so I don't know if you'll be able to help but it's worth a shot. A Cathode kit consists of two 12" tubes and a transformer. You need one transformer for every tube if you plan on putting the cathodes more than 11 inches apart and I do...So I ordered two Cathode kit's and two extra transformers. One tube and one transformer for drivers side under dash, one tube and one transformer for passenger's side under dash, one tube and one transformer for driver's side door pocket and one tube and one transformers for passenger's door pocket. I also bought two LED switches from oznium. I want to control all the tube's I just listed with one switch and later on control my vent halo's with the other switch. Now that everyone know's the general situation...here's a diy on oznium but there are still thing's im really unclear on...I'm tapping power from the cig lighter FYI. Oznium Cathode Install Like wiring up the switches and where the ground bolt is and how I am going to put 4 seperate tubes and transformes to one switch and to one power source and where I put the inline fuse holder and fuse? I only have one...I don't want to put 1 on each different set...Little help if you guys can.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:57 AM

Okay you run the power wire from the cigarette lighter, either splice it or completely clip it and use it, just seal off your connections good whatever you do, put in the inline fuse and then run it to the power side of the switch... then you take the 4 hot wires from the tubes and run it to the ACC (accessory) side of the switch, ground the switch and the tubes and you're done.

I hope this answers your questions, I read it really fast so I might have missed something.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:13 PM

I think I gotta go out and buy some extra wire. To reach the cig lighter and stuff. And what does splice mean exactly? Like are there two actual wires in the one wire and you just pull em apart.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:22 PM

Nah like I've got a pair of strippers that actually peels back the coating on the wire without cutting and I just attach the new one there, or you could cut it, and connect the new wire in with the old one and seal everything off good. This may not be the 'proper' way but thats the way I've done everything with no problems.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:32 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Attachment 364
Old 12-27-2007, 12:59 PM

Is an inverter a transformer?

Edit: I getcha I think.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:46 PM
DTN

Technically a transformer increases or decreases AC voltage at the cost of current. A regulator or power supply supplies DC. An inverter or ballast supplies AC. Neon works on AC.

I'm sure there is a transformer in the package somewhere, but that is a small part of the power conversion process when you look at the schematics. Usually there's a DC oscillator circuit and an amplifier circuit. A step-up transformer could take up most of the room inside the box, but is a relatively small part of the circuit.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:49 AM

My switch is has an LED in it...how much does this change things? Oh and where the hell do I ground??
Old 12-29-2007, 10:00 AM

You probably have to ground the switch so the LED will work. Doesn't change anything, just ground it. I don't have any pics but for my neons and such I grounded them to the bolts on the brake pedal. Was outta the way and could be easily snaked there. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:05 AM
DTN

You can ground to any bolt available. ground = body. Make sure you get metal to metal contact by scraping the paint away. You can use a steel wire brush to get a good ground from a painted area. Just follow directions on the switch itself. If you are asking about how to ground the switch, you can post pictures of the switch and packaging, we can show you which terminals to hook up.

I posted a wiring diagram of how to hook up the switch a few posts ago... the 3 dashes = ground.