Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

help with component (tunez!)

Old 08-04-2001, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with component (tunez!)

hello. i just finished installing my alpine sub and amp, and wanted a component setup too. I have a alpine 5 1/4's with the crossover and tweeters. i already took apart my door, and can't seem to find out how i can get the tweeter mounted to nicely fit the stock position. I have a 96 elantra. plus where do i put the crossover? i know to plug in the woofer and tweeter into one end, but where do i plug the other end in (it has two wires on the other end), because both the 5 1/4 and the tweeter have different cords. i'm really confused. help please!!!
Old 08-06-2001, 11:52 PM

come on...i know that some of you audiophiles know wtf is up...i'm in need of some help...thanks if you can.
Old 08-07-2001, 12:36 AM

Ok, on the x-over you will see or should see 6 screws that are the terminals to connect the wires one set should be for high frequency that would be for your tweeters, then a set for mid/low (some x-overs mark it differently) this would be for you 5 1/4 driver, and then the last is for input that would be the + and - wire coming from your headunit or your amp. Now when hooking up the wires it should be marked which is + and - follow suit by hooking up to that wire to that terminal. As far as the tweeter goes you probably won't find a spot behind the door to mount the tweeter that you will hear it properly, you might have to cut a hole in the door to mount it which if done right will look pretty cool. Things to keep in mind keep the tweeter no more than 5 inches away from the driver and when you do find a place to mount it get a broom handle put it to the location of the tweeter and angle it to the middle of the car you want to copy this in mounting your tweeter for you want your sound to be projected to the middle of the car. I'll check back to see if you need anymore help.
Old 08-07-2001, 02:43 AM

first of all thanks for the help. alright...the main problem is that each set of components (right and left side) come with a crossover, and on my elantra, it has factory 5 1/4's and factory tweeters, each with it's own plug. (this means two plugs total per door for the speakers.) to which plug or wires do I attach the input wires of the x-over to? i have a 2/1 channel (bridged) amp powering my sub, so do i run the wires to my headunit or the amp? if i run it to the headunit, do i attach it to which of the two (per door) factory plugs/wires? sorry for all the questions, but i don't really know much about this stuff.
Old 08-07-2001, 04:11 AM

Ok this is gonna be a long response so hold on. I am guessing you don't have an amp running your interior speakers just you sub, right? Well if this is the case then what you want to do is in the door where the wires are find the one that goes to the 5 1/4 you should be able to trace that plug and wire right to the speaker if you can't here is an easy way to find it. Go and get a 9 volt battery (the little square ones that go in toys) connect the wires of that plug to the top of the battery one to the + and one to the - while the car is shut off you will then here a popping sound (it woun't damage the speaker don't worry) which ever speaker pops either the tweeter or the 5 1/4 you will be able to identify the other and get the wires from the 5 1/4 to connect to the input of the x-over. Now you might want to think about getting an amp because the x-overs usually take up 2-5 watts of power just to run and convert the frequenceis inside of it. Now if your amping these speakers just discconect the factory wiring altogether and run speaker wire from the amp right to the input of the x-over if you are amping the components let me know and I will give you an easier way to run the amplified wire.
Old 08-07-2001, 04:19 AM

that's much more helpful. now should i just splice the wires of the input(bare wire) to the harness or what? there is a factory mounting harness, and the wires coming from the x-over are just wires w/o plugs. that's about it.
Old 08-07-2001, 01:26 PM

Well there are two ways to do it. First you can go to Circuit City, Best Buy, etc... and get the factory speaker harness that will -plug right into the factory one with out any wire stripping and the new harness comes with loose wire to go right into the x-over. Second like you said you can slice into the wire just don't cut the plugs just to make it easier to put the factory stuff back in when you go to sell. Just make sure if you do this you hook the = and the - correctly on both sides so your speakers are not out of phase you will know if you do this cause the speakers will sound like crap.
Old 08-07-2001, 11:40 PM

cool...i'll let you know how it goes...thanks.
Old 08-09-2001, 11:49 PM

J99-thanks for your help...got it in two day ago, and it sounds great.
Old 08-10-2001, 12:44 AM

Cool glad I could help.