Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Help! Boss & Visonik

Old 12-03-2002, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Boss & Visonik

Hey there,

I need some advice on this. I have a Boss ripper 595 amp, and I just recently replaced 2-10" Eclipse(8ohm) speakers with a Visonik dual 12" bandpass box. I noticed a ticking sound on my 6x9 rear speakers after I installed the subs. I had noticed it before on with my eclipse subs, but now it seems to be worse. I also have noticed a high pitched squeal that will rise and fall with the engine revs. It didn't do that before with the eclipse. I checked all my grounds for the amp and everything looked good. I went ahead and buffed the bare metal where the ground wire is tapped. When I unplug the rca inputs from the amp the ticking and squeal stop. I tried a different Boss Ripper-595 amp, and it does the exact same thing. Could it be the amp causing this? Could one of the rca jack wires be stripped somewhere along the line causing this?? Should I replace it with a different amp? What would be a good suggestion for an amp under $200-$250...

Thanks and sorry for the long and possibly confusing post. smile.gif
Spatch!

[ December 03, 2002, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Spatch359 ]
Old 12-03-2002, 09:42 AM

most likely its the ground. even if the grounds are grounded good that doesnt mean there wont be alt/engin noise in the speakers.

it can also be the rca jacks. if they arent shielded good or if they are bent but it all comes back to the ground since the rcas' are also connected to the ground in the back of the deck.
Old 12-03-2002, 10:40 AM

hopefully you have the power and rca's running on opposite sides of the car because that will do it aswell...use a volt meter to check the ground...you should get 12 volts...if you dont find a gournd that does!
Old 12-03-2002, 11:52 AM

I let a local speed shop do the wiring for the amp, and they ran the wires along the power cable. I'm going to replace the rca's with some better ones. Does any one know if circuit citys monster interconnects are any good? smile.gif

Spatch!
Old 12-04-2002, 06:49 AM

Are the 6 X 9's also on that same amp? Power and RCA's right next to each other would definetley cause the problem.

Yes,Monster Cable is good stuff!
Old 12-05-2002, 10:29 AM

Alrighty.. I went out yesterday morning and bought a set of monster cables from CC. I let a local speed shop rerun them for me, and it turns out that they were the problem! The originals were cheapo "come with a kit" type of RCAs. Even with the original RCAs unhooked from the amp I still noticed a little whine, but now with the monster cables hooked up the sound is awesome and all the noise is gone! Thanks!!!

Spatch