Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Gauge Color Change

Old 01-05-2008, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mmmk well i just installed a new alpine stereo (b**** to install), has blue lights. Next I want to change those stupid white lights in the gauges to blue like i see in everyone else's tibs.

I know in order for me to do this i need to take off the dash and all that shit... buy the super bright blue led's, then unskrew the white ones and put the blue ones back in place.

my question to you guys is:
Is that basically the procedure?
how difficult is it?

im also currently putting in blue led' above my peddles to give the blue glow look around the feet.

lastly, i know i have asked a question in the past just like this, and it got locked saying to look at the DIY. well that did not help me sorry
Old 01-05-2008, 06:29 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

What I would do is get some of the Blue Bros gauges. Otherwise you can put the blue lights in instead of the white. Its not hard to do that at all and taking the dash apart is a good experience.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:36 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's about 24-30 hours worth of work to do a full LED conversion and it is nothing like changing a light bulb. There are DIYs on the site. Check them out.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:14 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

dtn is right, 20-30 hours for a full led conversion, but it's worth it if you do it right. difficulty from 1-10 is like 8. 7 for experienced people. you have to have a lot of patience and the right tools and some time when nobody can bother you.

i f*cked many things up and blew so many LED's up doing it at 3am. unlike the clever people here, i spent 120 hours on mine trying to get everything right because i'm a special case because my F2 faces from the United Kingdom were tinted stupidly so i had to put a lot of layers of diffusion. even now it's not the best it can be but at night it really is beautiful.

there's great DIY on here to follow that i learned from:
glow needle and gauge face diy
dash removal
leds and resistors
heater switch and center din removal

i did end up doing it twice though. the first time came out near perfect in lighting but it just wouldn't work right.

high five to the guys who created these. now you've got people who are going to bug you like i did nana.gif

i won't be around, but if you have questions ask and i'll try to get back to you as soon as i can.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:49 PM

thanks everyone for all the info. i dont think i will do this now, im not to experienced and looks sorta tough.

looks sweet though
Old 01-05-2008, 08:26 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

no problem man. don't let us scare you off. i'd do it for you if i knew i could do it perfectly, but since i know i can't and don't have anything to test it on then it makes it difficult. all it is is a bunch of screws. you can take everything out with a phillips head. there's nothing to it. soldering is cake. then you hook up the - and + to the bulb terminals by breaking off the bulb connections and squeezing the - and + wires into the terminals. if it doesn't light up the polarity is reverse. looks scary at first but there's nothing you can't reverse...

although unlike my tinted ones, stock faces would be easy. it's easier than it looks. i started out not knowing squat. did a lot of reading up on this forum, bothered a few good men and now my car is a carousel at night cool.gif

you could get in on the EL gauge GB and it would make it a direct swap. but i rather don't like indiglow because it bothers the eyes when driving.

sometimes i wish i went with my favorite color that i wanted, hint of purple mix with blue, but i could never find that color for sale.

you can get LED's from ebay. soldering iron with solder from amazon.com/radioshack/walmart/home depot/loews, wires you can get from any auto store 22 gauge, a splicing tool will be handy (i did it allll by hand).
Old 01-05-2008, 09:34 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is possible to get the leds much more even

Those are a few I've done. I don't really do them anymore because it's no fun anymore.

I do have a gauges kit ready to go for about $150 + shipping though.