Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Firewall Help

Old 12-03-2003, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I installed my cobra eyes I wired a switch to the center console. Getting two small wires through the existing firewall was extremely difficult (in the center of the engine bay behind engine/behind interior dash) For installing my underbody switches and future wires is there an easier way to get through the firewall? Is there a place where I can simply drill a new hole or something? Pretty much what do I need to know in order to get wires from the engine to the inside of the car???
Old 12-03-2003, 07:19 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

yeah, just drill through the firewall. if you are really worried about hitting things, get two little magnets and a friend. put them on opposite sides of the firewall and have the friend move one magnet around untill the opther one starts moving with it. then just mark that area off and drill away. make sure to use a snap grommet for the hole though. you dont want any wires getting cut on the sharp metal.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:49 PM

Where should I look? Left side of engine bay? (behind glove box) or somewhere else? It seems that the left side would be the easiest to get to
Old 12-03-2003, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I would put it under the drivers dash... so the wires run straight from battery to where the switch should be (within reach of driver). Pull back the carpet and find the firewall. That's where mine is. I have 3 wires running through there (vent halo's, remote starter/alarm wire, and a huge 4gauge wire for audio). You may have to unscrew a few things to get the carpet pulled away, but you'll probably have to put it up there pretty high, up under the dash almost. I'll get pics when I go home (not for another 2 weeks). Make sure you drill it big enough for future wires. Mine is crowded and I'm not sure how I'm going to wire my angel eye headlights... no room for another wire, and can't drill with existing wires there. :-/
Old 12-04-2003, 06:28 AM

also... if you have touch up paint... touch up the raw edges of the hole and let it dry before you put the grommit and wires through.. you do not need rust starting ANYWHERE!
Old 12-04-2003, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

shock.gif crapola! Good idea... I'm gonna get to work on that...
Old 12-04-2003, 05:11 PM

While the guys over at the Hyundai Performance site are tired of me talking about fiats... fighting the rust bug that italian cars get infested with has given me quite a perspective on how to keep cars from rusting in the first place.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:08 PM

about the snap grommets you can actually go to Schucks or another auto supply and but a package of rubber grommets. They just fit into the hole and then you're good to go.