Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..
View Poll Results: Shape (see pic before voting)
Option A
25.00%
Option B
75.00%
Option C
0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Fiberglass Reference Speaker

Old 10-30-2007, 10:13 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I'm going to make my stereo into a 5.1 surround sound. I am currently running 4.1. The best location I've found to put the 5th speaker in is on the dashboard near the windshield. It is a 3-3/4" midrange Infinity 3022CFspeaker. I am going to fiberglass it onto my dashboard in a removable enclosure and then mount the removable enclosure.

I'd like some oppinions. Keep in mind that this will be dead center of my car inline with the silver stripe on the outside. All options will follow the line of the windshield and leave 1" of clearance between the windshield and the box for defrost. No option will obstruct my view.

Shape:

Option A. Fiberglass a box and bring it up over the top of the speaker on the front.

Option B. Rounded edges on front all the way up

Option C. Squared off front.

I would also like some help with the color of the box once I'm done. It will be either Blue, Black or Silver. I don't have much silver in my cockpit but I might like to add some more. I don't know.

Here is an older pic of my interior, a few things have changed, but pretty much looks the same. It should give you some idea.

BTW... the speaker is black with a silver cone and tweeter.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

the crash pad is one hting i'm not touching. it would be super hard to get an altered area to match up with the rest of the thing(unless glassing the entire crash pad, which imo is dumb), and really what would you be gaining from having 5.1 sound? a little extra clarity when someone speaks, that's about all.

but wait, does your jensen even decode surround sound?
Old 10-30-2007, 10:27 AM
DTN

^^ Yes, in both analog sound processing and digital sound processing modes. It is a Dolby Pro-Logic/Pro-Logic II deck. It's got alot of options. Plus, for normal listening to music it will increase my highs, which means I can turn down my trebble setting. My deck is pretty darn badass.

The main reason I'd like it is for the extra clarity. The reference portion of this will mean that I can have a center width, which will make it more noticable when something comes from the right or the left channel. Right now It's stereo, but once I add the reference, I can put it into surround mode without it sounding messed up.

Alot of songs nowadays are comming with DTS signals built in. Especially club and rap music. Which I'll be able to hear in Pro-Logic II Music mode.

Without the center speaker, my stereo isn't really loud enough nor does it have the resoloution to go into digital mode.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:55 AM

I think its a great idea, I was going to glass my whole crash pad but time is not permitting, I love Jacks. so you're just going to make a pod for it right not glass the whole crash pad? I'd do the rounded pod, I think it'd look great!
Old 10-30-2007, 12:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

i was thinking a similar shape to the dash around the gauges would look good in blue, maybe silver or black on just the top so it doesn't mess with the outside stripe
Old 10-30-2007, 12:20 PM

I wonder if one could contact hyundai directly and obtain the material that our dash is covered in...
Old 10-30-2007, 01:02 PM

that would look good too if it looked completely like it was supposed to be there and same material as the crash pad.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:50 PM
DTN

I don't know how I'd mate it up. I'd need some trim to make it look not cheap if I were to use the manufacturer's vinyl. That will probly come later. For now I'm trying to plan out the major stuff.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:54 PM

That's easy, you just make sure it follows the curve of the dash and leave an even seam all the way around. Stock parts have seams, they just have to look good.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:00 PM
DTN

It shouldn't be hard to get some black pleather, uphoulstering it might be tough though. But I think something growing out of the dashboard would be too obvious that it's not stock. Plus, I'm doing this by hand so I doubt I could come up with a manufacturer's type of perfection.

Maybe If I were to coat it in the pleather, then make a sort of fitted trim ring which would be the same color as the blue on my dash, it could pass for pretty elegent. Until I can figure out exactally how I'd go about all of that, I think a painted FG mold will work. I do like the idea of using the dash pleather though.